LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1997 Firebird and with the stock seats I don't fit very well in it unless I take the roof off and still the seat bolsters are digging into my back and my legs are hitting the wheel. I'm a big guy so I know I'm not gonna fit perfectly in there ever but does anyone know if its possible to move the seats farther back then the sliding rails or if there's a seat I couls swap in that I can put right on the floor and far back that's good for big guys thanks

·
Global Moderator
13,480 Posts
Because the seat tracks bolt to the floor, I suggest you install new studs to move seat further back.

This would involve using the seat tracks to locate the place where studs will be welded to floorboards. Studs should be same size as original. 8mm dia x 1.25 mm thread pitch x 40mm long. With a 10.0 or higher strength rating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because the seat tracks bolt to the floor, I suggest you install new studs to move seat further back.

This would involve using the seat tracks to locate the place where studs will be welded to floorboards. Studs should be same size as original. 8mm dia x 1.25 mm thread pitch x 40mm long. With a 10.0 or higher strength rating.
Now I haven't taken the seats out to look at it yet but do you think instead of moving the whole brackets I could move the seats back on the stock brackets and fix mount them so they might sit lower and farther back it's only me driving it so I don't need the sliders

·
Global Moderator
13,480 Posts
You can modify the seat tracks as you stated. However, to be safe the seat frame must be either bolted or spot welded to tracks. adhesives like epoxy I wouldn't trust to hold assembly together.

If you have access to the adhesives that are used to bond corvette plastic panels to metal, or hold airplanes together, they would do the job.

But since most people don't have access to high tech adhesives, bolting or spot welding would be the choice. If you spot weld track to seat frame, the seat cushion & fabric must be removed to prevent fire.

Many years ago, I adapted Ford buckets to fit in my 90 camaro. I used the oem camaro brackets. 2 of the bolt holes on tracks aligned with bolt holes on seat frame. The other 2 I spot welded track to seat frame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can modify the seat tracks as you stated. However, to be safe the seat frame must be either bolted or spot welded to tracks. adhesives like epoxy I wouldn't trust to hold assembly together.

If you have access to the adhesives that are used to bond corvette plastic panels to metal, or hold airplanes together, they would do the job.

But since most people don't have access to high tech adhesives, bolting or spot welding would be the choice. If you spot weld track to seat frame, the seat cushion & fabric must be removed to prevent fire.

Many years ago, I adapted Ford buckets to fit in my 90 camaro. I used the oem camaro brackets. 2 of the bolt holes on tracks aligned with bolt holes on seat frame. The other 2 I spot welded track to seat frame.
Alright well thanks I will have to take the seats out and figure out my game plan from there

1 - 5 of 5 Posts