LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 96 ss,383,afr 210s,t-56 tranny,i have an issue with low rpm vibration/rattling,allmost a shudder even at times,it doesnt drive bad on the hw or sound bad,it just all of a sudden started getting a real bad shake when i was parking at work i noticed it today,and i dont think its the clutch because in or out doesnt seem to make a diff,i want to say mount or something? Im concerned its something serious like i spun a bearing or something,because its a super bad vibration,but it goes away when im actually driving the car so it cant be something like that right? Ive driven the car about 30 miles at 80-85 mph,and it didnt explode so im happy about that and all,but i dont understand what its coming from,anybody have good isolation ideas? Another reason i suspect a mount or 2 is because "the jerk" has gotten real bad lately too,now i understand that it is in part due to me running a 3/4 cam but i dont remember it being near as bad as its been getting recently,its terrible when the engine is cold,but even when hot,you allways get the jerks when cruising at partial throttle especially below 2k rpm,35 to 45 mph in either 4th or 5th is just terrible(this car doesnt even idle below 1.1k so 2k isnt really that much) I know im not the only guy with a manual ss out there,i appriciate your input guys

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
What tb do u have? Whats ur tune like and how big is your cam, over lap etc etc. You may need to drill a hole in ur tb blade for idle air. Just throwing around an idea. We will need a little bit more information. I've also heard about this sorta thing when the transmission/ clutch needs to be shimmed. Waiting on more info..

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
an ignition or fuel miss, a minor valvetrain problem, will almost always be stronger at idle. could be a burned plug wire. could be a burned valve. i've had engines where a spark plug broke in half, and you couldn't even tell except at idle, it was even smooth at high rpm.

just start going through it, it's probably something obvious

i doubt it's an engine mount broken or anything, but who knows. pop the hood and blip the throttle. you'll know real quick if you busted a mount.

if you can datalog it, please do.. that might tell us something..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts