I know its been a while but I am still working on the car and I wanted to share what I have found out. I tested the high and low res signals from the optispark with my oscilloscope and they looked good for the most part but after thinking things through I wanted to look at the inside of the thing and see what was going on. so I took the opti off and took the cap off and the contact points were corroded enough where I wanted a new cap and rotor, then I took the rotor off and under it was full of rust, including a little on the optical disc. It is a gm opti with only a couple thousand miles but the car sat under a cover outside for a few weeks when I moved and during the time it sat, it rained alot so I'm sure that didn't help when I got around to picking the car up, especially since its a 1994 with an unvented opti. Since I already have a new vented cap and rotor from msd and the optical sensor is good I plan to get an opti from summit put the msd cap and rotor on it and maybe switch out the optical sensor from mine since it has the Mitsubishi version and I'm pretty sure the summit brand opti will use a cheaper sensor. when I get it all put together in a week or two I will post what happens but I think it will fix the problem. When I was taking it apart I also found the water pump bearing was very bad so I'm glad I caught that too.