LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you other guys seem to have problems with the coolant system on these cars? For the 3 years I have owned my car I have had to replace a lost of hoses for my system and some other various parts. And every once an a while(over the years) my low coolant light comes on. I just add more coolant and it disapears. This common with you guys?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Never happened to me. Contamination in your system can corrode teh rubber hoses though. Id drain it take out the radiator run a hose through it get the rust out..then wash out the grill with low pressure. Also for the magic coolant check your plug might need to be tightened.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was it a noticeable leak or was it just a small leak and no real way of knowing unless you check it? And if its a small leak where is this level sensor?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm guessing that you've already found the coolant level sensor, but if you haven't, its on passenger side of the radiator. It is near the upper line that runs to the transmission.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I have yet to check the sensor out. I have been pretty busy lately with finals for school and a new project to work on. Not to change this thread completely off topic but my new project is installing this isane stereo system into one of Mr X's friends car. If you want to check it out here it is: http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19654 (there are pictures of the complete install in the later pages) I will probably check that sensor this weekend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im bringing up an old post from the dead here. . . But I am having simalar issues. . . coolant light comes on.... and the resoivor is full.. didnt get to check the rad tonight as it was hot from driving. . . . will check fluid in there in the Am. . . But just wondering if any one had any other ideas on thes low coolant light. . . its random. . . .and tonight adding coolant did not help. . .Im going to check that sensor tomorrow .

Thanks in advance.

Chris

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yep i had that problem .. head gasket leaking into the cylinder's the only problem i noticed was the damn light coming on maybe once a month , add coolant ... dont worry your dealership can fix that one for a nominal $ 2300 lmao .. have fun n hope for the best --
Thats what happened to mine. However I didn't pay the dealer 2300$ to fix it.

I fixed it. Spent maybe 800$ total for all gaskets, new WP, new radiator, radiator cap, opti, plugs, wires, and the over priced lt1 gaskets and head work.

But if you don't have the tools or the know how to do a head gasket on these cars beware. It isn't fun. Plus I screwed up and dropped something and it managed to find its way to the bottom of the pan so I had to pull the motor. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I fixed it. Spent maybe 800$ total for all gaskets, new WP, new radiator, radiator cap, opti, plugs, wires, and the over priced lt1 gaskets and head work.

But if you don't have the tools or the know how to do a head gasket on these cars beware. It isn't fun. Plus I screwed up and dropped something and it managed to find its way to the bottom of the pan so I had to pull the motor. Fun stuff.
hmm.. so to do the head gasket you don't have to pull the motor? Do you think a cam would slide in with the motor mounted. Fan and rad removed of course.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I pulled the motor but only because I screwed up and dropped something down a hole in the block and had to get that out before I started the motor.

But the head gasket is doable for sure with the block bolted in the car. I think you could do the cam but it would be very tight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts