LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advise please. I am currently doing a 383 forged LT1 set up for a procharger. I am looking to run 10 - 12 psi boost level. I would love to run 5-550 rwhp. I dont know if this is doable.

My combo will be a forged 383 9-1 comp. Ported LT1 heads/intake. 58 mm throttle body. Headers. Pro charger p1sc with 2 core intercooler. Magnaflow cat back.

Here are my questions
1) What camshaft is best recommended for mostly street driven application? This is a weekend cruise/car show vehicle.

2) Headers? I was leaning towards the rk sports or the as&m mid lengths. I am in an emissions area so long tubes many be an issue. I have been told that rk sports have a thinner flange bolt area and are prone to leakage. I have also been told that long tubes will give me 30 -50 hp difference over mid lengths. Is there that big of a difference between LTs and Mids? I was going to use the rk sports till I heard about the leaking and thinner flanges and hp difference.

I would appreciate any help from the masses.

Thanks

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Where exactly do you live? What state/locale? How strict emissions testing is varies widely by state and City/county. If you're in California you're pretty much screwed.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I'm not an expert on LT1 cams, but as for the headers, definitley go LT's. The more you mod a motor, the more it needs to breathe. The more it can breathe, the more power you will make.

Spend some $$ and get some 1 3/4" - 1 7/8" stepped headers. For your application, that will probably yield the best results.

And I don't think that there is a LT header out there that will yields 30-50 hp over mids. :lol: You were mis-informed.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
I don't know a lot about blower cams but I know you want a large split and a wide LSA.

I have a friend pushing 500+ rwhp on a Comp 218/230 114lsa. on a 355...runs deep 10s, when it runs, LOL

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys.

Chris....I live near Pgh, Pa. What are the specs on you friends cam? Comp told me that a 218/224 530/534 113 would work ok but I have also been told to use caution when it comes to comp cams recommendations.

Gettinthere....I didnt think there would be a huge difference. I can accept 20-25 hp loss in exchange for no rattles on the floor boards and no emissions problems. I just did not want to get crushed. Who makes the stepped versions? cost etc?

Do you guys think the hp range I want is attainable even with the mid lengths?

Thanks again

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Sure its attainable....with a 383 I don't think it will be a problem, will just take a tad more boost than it would with the longtubes.

Really I think headers are overemphasized on forced induction cars anyway....there's no scavenging, or at least there shouldn't be, in a blower motor because you're already blowing the intake charge through. Excessive scavenging and valve overlap would waste air/fuel and lower HP.

So don't beat yourself up too much about the headers, get the mids if they work better for you.

All I know about my friend's cam is that it was off-the-shelf XE lobes 218/230 114lsa. He's running a home-built turbo setup now but the Procharger setup ran mid 10s on a 355, over 500hp to the wheels.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
quickmedic1 said:
Gettinthere....I didnt think there would be a huge difference. I can accept 20-25 hp loss in exchange for no rattles on the floor boards and no emissions problems. I just did not want to get crushed. Who makes the stepped versions? cost etc?

Do you guys think the hp range I want is attainable even with the mid lengths?

Thanks again
It won't even be 20-25. It'll probably be 15 at the most and you'll see that up top. The top of the line stepped headers are Kook's.

And with the blower, I could see you at over 500 to the wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts