LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently changed my lifters and pushrods because if what I thought was a lifter going bad. Results are the same..... Ticking from the valve cover.

How long should it take for stock LT1 lifters to bleed down to a point the can be somewhat compressed by hand? Mine have been sitting for 2 days and are still rock hard.

Replacement lifters were LS7 lifters. I bought them from a local engine building company here in DFW. I didn't know they were LS7 till I got the old ones out and noticed the diff. Lil Internet surfing confirmed my thoughts.

In the end I still have a noticeable tick and I'm out $150 for lifters and pushrods.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I would find the noisy valve /rocker arm and try and re adjust that rocker.First determine what side the noise is comming from ,pull that valve cover and find the rocker thats ticking ,very carefully re adjust that rocker arm, see Shoeboxes note on adjusting valves while running. ed

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Followed the steps verbatim. This is actually not my 1st rodeo with SBC...... Just an LT1. Car still has a aftermarket cam of unknown origins in it. Lift looks to be ok with the stock valve springs as its not causing coil bind of any sort, but I'm wondering if the VS are getting weak...... 124k on odometer. <------- I know that's not right though because of the 3.73's and odometer being off.

Back to the cam........ I put a stock ECM in the car because of the god awfully high shift points in the programed ECM that came with the car. Car averages 18.3 mpg mixed but I know my figures are off due to the odometer being off.

Are the stock stamped rockers in these cars inherently noisy??? Or am I barking up the wrong tree trying to find my problem?

·
Registered
807 Posts
In my opinion thr stock rockers are quiet,if they are adjusted properly and they are not warn. Take the rocker arm off its stud and inspect the rocker ball and see if there is any wear going on anyplace,if so replace warn parts.Yes I would say if they are stock valve springs they are ready to be replaced but unless the spring is broken it shouldnt be making any noise. ed

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
i wouldn't necessarily expect a performance lifter that's full of oil and has a larger than usual spring in it to be easily compressed by hand.

stock stamped rockers are about as quiet as it gets

i wouldnt suspect the new lifters have any issues

if the tick is the same as it was before, something funny is going on...

is this an otherwise stock valvetrain? no spring/cam upgrades?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cam is aftermarket but I have no clue what it is. Lifters are Ls7, and the rest is stock

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would use a mechanics stethoscope or a long big screwdriver pressed against your ear to pinpoint where the tick is coming from. Have you verified without a doubt that it is in fact your valvetrain making this noise? Are you sure you don't have an exhaust leak somewhere? I've heard of people replacing their lifters only to find that it was an exhaust leak at the manifold.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm looking at new exhaust gaskets next. Was hoping for headers shortly. Found a set of edelbrock shorties local for a steal

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok..... Issue resolved! Was missing 2 exhaust bolts..... One on each side, both were the front on the rear cyl. The back bolts were loose also. Sounds muck better! Still need a exhaust gasket I think on the pass side. Ticks very slightly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts