LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found what I thought was brake fluid on my rear rotor and on the inside of my wheel....it has a different kinda smell...Please help...

·
Global Moderator
12,992 Posts
To be sure of what it is, remove the rear axle fill plug on the passenger side of rear end pumpkin. Compare smell of oil in axle. Fill plug requires 1/2" square drive to remove it.

You will probably find you are leaking rear end oil from the outer seal of rear axle. The parts to fix this are inexpensive.

However, changing the rear axle outer seals requires the axle shafts to be removed from rear axle. This is done by removing the rear cover of pumpkin. Then remove the bolt that holds the pinion shaft in. Pull pinion shaft out and remove pinion gears. Remove C-clip that holds axle shafts. Remove axle shafts.

Of course before removing axle shafts, rear brake calipers, rotors & backing plates must be removed.

Pull the old seal out. In stall seal with proper size seal driver. If you don't have seal drivers, a 1/2" drive socket of the correct size, or a block of wood can be used as a seal driver.

Exploded views of rear akle in 4th gen parts books and service manuals.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts