LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else get the new GMHTP yet?

There's a 1 pager on the new SUV L92 motor, the 6.2L with variable cam timing.

Anyway, the heads are unbelievable. Based off an LS7 port but on a 15* valve angle rather than the LS7's 12*. Smaller valves (to clear the LS2's smaller bores, making it a bolt on for LS2's :devil: ), and 1.7 rockers rather than LS7's 1.8s, but it has the same offset exhaust rocker setup as the LS7.

And the best part? The article reports that the heads out of the box have been flowed at over 350 cfm intake at several speed shops. I think exhaust was 230 but can't remember exactly.

These same heads will be part of the upcoming LS3 performance motor. I'd suspect The base vette will get an LS3 and that Camaro will get LS3 as the top motor. It already makes 425 in truck trim, imagine what an LS2 intake and a more hp-biased cam will do. 450HP?

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Yeah I read that the other day. Very interesting. Too bad they won't fit on the 3.90 bore though. Be very nice. When they start hitting GMPP too they more than likely be very economical for people buying them!!! I'd love to see how they react ported for big motors... hell they work for big motors out of the box.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The amazing thing is that 10 years ago 350cfm intake would have been absolutely unheard of on anything OEM and would have been state of the art in a Winston Cup motor.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
What kind of truck does the LS3 come in right now. I went and looked the other day and all I saw that interested me was a 6.0 and an 8.0 liter (I think).

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
So true my friend. The progression is insane. And what GM is doing on small cube motors power wise is really getting out there.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Enthusiast said:
What kind of truck does the LS3 come in right now. I went and looked the other day and all I saw that interested me was a 6.0 and an 8.0 liter (I think).
There is no LS3 yet. The truck/Vortech version is the L92 and it is debuting in 2006 in the new Cadillac Escalade. Not sure if the new Yukon and Tahoe are getting it yet or not.

LS3 will be the car version, and nobody from GM's talking about it yet but its pretty certain that its coming. The Z06 is supposedly getting a 600-650hp LS3 topped with a supercharger, called the LS9. So my guess is the base vette will get a 450hp LS3.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
10 yrs ago (2006 model year) the LT4 was the Shiznit with 235cfm...just for comparison's sake. 9 years ago the LS1 debuted with 255cfm intake.....

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Pesonally GM needs to have the base C6 and the Camaro w/ the same motor as they did before. LS3 in both, along w/ GTO and anything else they choose w/ that same platorm. Detune, do whatever to keep the C6 on top as it has to be, but for the sake of costs, keep as many on similar platforms. Hell they can just change a camshaft to a smaller one and get the C6 a bigger one to keep it on top. Just makes sense to not have too many options for $$$ reasons.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah but you can't have the ONLY V8 option in the Camaro being a 430+HP fire breather if you want to sell a lot of them.

Ford Sells the shit out of relatively weak GT mustangs. The point is that many drivers that DON'T want a V6 are turned off or scared away by big HP. I even wonder if the Vette won't have this same problem if the power numbers keep going up on the base cars. Female buyers in particular are part of this issue.

IMO Camaro's got to have an LS2 and then the LS3 as the top dog. Much talk has been of the SS becoming the "mass market" V8 Camaro and then the Z28 being more of a Z06-style or GT500 car...in that case the LS3 would fit perfectly and the SS would be LS2 powered. We'll see though....

I'm not sure the base Vette needs 450hp just from a marketing standpoint, but my guess is they will want the weakest Vette to still be stronger or equal to any other GM product.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Oh I totally agree. Not saying that it should be the only V8 out there. The LS4 is a great setup for the cars as the small v8 motor IMO. Obviously you are going to have the V6 base, then a V8. But you don't need two V8s for the performance crowd (aka Vette, Camaro, GTO) IMO.

I have a feeling that LS2 will be phased out fairly quickly when the LS3 hits the market IMO. I could be wrong, but its a good possibility.

IF GM goes w/ the Z28 top dog situation, then yes its feasable they will use the two V8 setup. If they do it though the Z28 will be premiumed as such as the Z06 now is. Look for it to be a highly limited production car b/c people that want to spend just a little more will get a C6. If they use the base Vette idea as they have, you end up w/ a LS3 in both the Z28 and C6, why not spend a little more on a C6.

If the LS2 is phased out, its simple to just slap a smaller camshaft in it and keep it under the power levels of the LS3 450 hp motor. I am just trying to think as a GM exec who might now want a Camaro in the first place and thinks from a money saving aspect...

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
True, but money-saving-aspect based decision making is what put their product in such crappy shape the past 10 years. Some times you have to spend money to make money and I'd rather them do it right even if it cost a bit more, because in the end it'll sell better.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
True, but money-saving-aspect based decision making is what put their product in such crappy shape the past 10 years. Some times you have to spend money to make money and I'd rather them do it right even if it cost a bit more, because in the end it'll sell better.
Valid point, and definately one that makes you think that possibly GM is finally getting back to the product/people thinking instead of a direct money way of thinking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New cylinder head

this is a question to Chris96WS6,Have you heard any more about ohv 3valve cylinder head ,that was going to be on future GenIv small block V8s? There for a while there were pictures flowting around a few month back, but have not heard any any more about it. Would like to here from you. theoldchevykid.

·
Registered
77 Posts
FWIW, the L92 is SAE rated at 403hp/417tq in the Escalade.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good lord, You could make 650hp with stock heads just buy adding a hefty cam and bumping up the compression to 12.5 . 350cfm is awesome! Those are some real heads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
AMAZING! simply amazing. my dad's buddy runs a porting shop and already has a set of the heads. he's trying to get the ls7 manifold to bolt up to it b/c the l92 truck manifold won't clear the hood of his GTO.

as for me, i wonder how much longer until GM will give a DOHC V-8 another shot. imagine a dual over head cam ls7.............

·
Registered
163 Posts
the problem with a dohc v8 is that its not very tuner friendly, for example all the dohc mustang engines all most people do to them is bolt ons because it is a pita to work on with 4 cams, plus if u wanted to cam the engine it would be ridiculously expensive to buy 4 cams and all the valve train parts

does anyone know where i can find a good article on the LS3 everyone is talking about it and i just would like to read up on it a bit

1 - 19 of 19 Posts