LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called around my local Chevy dealers, even one a past Pontiac dealer and non of them want to work on my 1995 Trans LT1/6sp the car short of EASY stuff. One told me they don't have the tools to even read codes from it??????
I am looking for anyone that worked on these back in the day and understand how to do stuff like flush/bleed cooling system with out killing the Opti, or work on mechanical stuff light the headlights, etc

·
Global Moderator
13,165 Posts
Tim, it's on you. As car enthusiasts we try to get people to learn how to work on their own cars.

To that end we have the 4th gen parts books and the 95 service manual, available for download. They're in the sticky threads of the 4th gen section.

Another great lt1 resource is shbox.com

If your not up on modern cars, I suggest going to your local public library. Get books on auto electrics, fuel injection, auto electronics, and auto computer control. Read these books and learn.

Go out and buy a digital multi meter, fuel pressure test gauge, noid light or 2 lead test light. And buy one of those $70 pc based oscilloscopes on ebay, amazon, etc. Then learn to use tools and scope.

Your final tool is an obd 1 scan program. We have a free obd 1 scan program in the 4th gen sticky threads. It's called "scan9495" and it was made for our lt1 cars.

It scans for regular codes, ABS, SIR codes. It does running sensor scans and will log the data to a file for playback later. And it tests engine & auto trans actuators. All this for free.

However, you will need a 16 pin obd 1 cable to connect car's dlc to usb port of pc based computer. Get at TunerCat
or at www.aldlcables.com

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I will do most things but sometimes I am lazy and rather pay someone. Ha ha ha
I have a 2003 Jag Xk8 conv. I do most of the work on it, Just those times where I am not in the mood to deal with things. I have an old OBD1 reader that will work on the car (co worker gave me one of those that has big cassette like things you put in the reader for all the domestic makes from mid 80's through mid 90's OBD1).
Just a little stunned that dealers would tell me on the phone they really don't work on them.

·
Global Moderator
13,165 Posts
If you can keep a jaguar on the road, a lt1 car will be a piece of cake. Personally, I'd rather spend my money on more mods to the car then give it to a mechanic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts