LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mean to come up with why Corvette (Y) and F-body (or any other LT1; B or D-body) has the different KS.
Here is what I am doing:
I have a 94 4-bolt LT1 that came from a Buick B-body. Yes, a 4bolt Roadmaster with iron heads. It has provisions for 2 Knock Sensors.
It is still a Chevrolet LT1.
Right now I am just stocking parts..

Do I run both B-body KSs? On the B-body both KS are on the same circuit.
Do I run one LT4 KS? ..if so what can I replace with one provisional for a KS; could I use an aftermarket mechanical gauge in one KS boss?
Remember I am using 1.7" roller rockers.

What ever shall I do?

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
please expound "Whats harness are you planning on running?

planing on the 24x system

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry i don't understand...
yes. there are 2 different OBD11 KS.
One for LT4 with alum rollers and one for stamped steel, yet both engines are OBD11.
What I am asking is..
is one LT4 KS equivalent to two LT1 KS?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i am using a 2002 0411 LS1 pcm for the 24x.
i did not know the pcm was tuned for specific KS.
i thought the KS had it's own frequency.

i am completely baffled now.
I will not be using the iron heads.. I have obtained a pair of never worked 374 castings.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.
You are right.
Cause I thought the LT4 KS was intended for the rollers. But I understand now.
So could I still use the 2 (both original B-body ones) OBD11 and have the 0411 tuned for the 1.7"s?

·
Global Moderator
13,566 Posts
If your running a b-body pcm and engine wiring harness, use 2 ks's because that is what pcm is designed to read.

If your running a f-body pcm and engine wiring, run 1 ks because that is what pcm is tuned to read. If you run both ks's in a f-body, I'm pretty sure the total resistance of the ks circuit will not be correct and the pcm won't read knock correctly.

This has to do with 2 resistance devices wired in either a series or parallel circuit, will have a different total resistance then a single resistance device in a circuit.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I set my 24x up for 2 knock sensors. The 0411 will support either 1 or 2 knock sensors. It's just a matter of setting things up correctly in the tuning.

At 12.25:1 compression, I want all the "knock sensing" that I can muster...!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks all.
like i said earlier, i am stocking parts for this build now. just wanted to get it all right now.
i will probably use a custom Bill Hillock wiring, since I am also running with a 700r4/4L60.
i brought this up cause i could find no LT4 KS for sale, and i thought the KS were specific to an engine. i did not know that it could be in the tune. thanks for the enlightenment.
i probably could of been more informative in my question.
Thanks! and i will use the B-body's 2 KS.
there is a local tuner here in Rural, Arkansas. very fortunate for that.

I am no way near this part of the project.....
but since you are still reading.. can any VIN be loaded into the 0411? or are there only certain years the 0411 will accept?? like could i have flash a 1938 Suburban VIN into a 2002 Camaro PCM? Or even a 1992 year model VIN from any Chevrolet, V6 or V8?

·
Global Moderator
13,566 Posts
Didn't notice the 24x part. As Sweetbmxrider and dynamic396 point out, if your using that system, you can put in 1 or 2 knock sensors. And 2 of them to check each side of engine is better than 1.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
......At 12.25:1 compression, I want all the "knock sensing" that I can muster...!
You wuss................:p

I tuned mine out :D .....being solid roller, and all :lol:!

Just call me "Mr Confident' (LOL).......

KW

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
can any VIN be loaded into the 0411? or are there only certain years the 0411 will accept?? like could i have flash a 1938 Suburban VIN into a 2002 Camaro PCM? Or even a 1992 year model VIN from any Chevrolet, V6 or V8?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts