LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have no idea were to put this but when ii bought the car the owner only had one key and the key fob. i lost the key yesterday and have no idea what to do i called chevy(bacause pontiac went under:banghead:) and they said they need 40$ to get the key code from gm and 25$ just for the key blank. does anyone know what else i can do?? or should i do this...Thanks

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have no clue what else to do, so i would just get the new key made. But you know as soon as you do you are going to find your origonal right? :roflmao:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea I no it SUCKS!! and of course i will find it after i spend the money to get a new key...yea the dealer said they would cut it y??

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Ok there is a way to test the ignition to find out the ohm reading...the security part of the key. You can then go onto , ebay lets say, and buy a key with that specific ohm reading and get it cut for free at ur choice of store, we will say walmart.

just ebay the vats keys and the listings have the directions how to.

Ive gotten 2 replacement keys off of there and work like a charm...although i had my key to get the ohm reading from so im sure it is easier.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
hahahahaha ding ding the oh shit light just came on :cool:
yeah so just disregard...but its a GREAT way to get a backup made once you do have a key that is :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
na, just get a door key made and upgrade to a push button start with a hidden dual battery cutoff switch

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dont even have a door key haha everything was lost so im just gonna have to get the key code from gm

·
Global Moderator
13,064 Posts
If your lock cylinder for the key is original, all GM dealer needs is your vin #. Or better yet, call a GM dealer and make sure of what info they need to make you a new key with correct resistor and key cut.

In the future you might want to start your own thread as this one is 6 years old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
GM's latest policy if you need to show proof of ownership for the subject vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you go to the GM dealership, bring your owners card and drivers license they can make you a new key for around $30 from the vin

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought a ‘91 Z years ago at a vehicle auction, no keys. If course i had to show proof of ownership at the dealer before
they would give me the time of day. Anyway’s long story short, they can still cut door and ignition keys with the VIN number( provided no on has changed them) the. VATS key code is another story: GM only keeps the data on things like this for Ten years, then tosses them out like garbage. So, you can still get a Vats key cut by VIN# but you have to find the resistance value for the key pellet before buying a correct VTS blank. I bought one on ebay fir like $10. (The dealer wants like $65 for the GM blank(if they can still get one) there are numerous posts about using resistor values to find the specific key you need (one of 15 possible)
Hope this helps.
Ben Smith

1 - 17 of 17 Posts