LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so my starter broke a few days ago, the bindex wouldn't engage the flywheel and I had to tow it home. So I replaced it with a remanufactured one, got four starts then it happened again, towed it home AGAIN; replaced it again and same thing on sixth start. This time I started it ran it some, came back parked it then killed and started it four or five times so I wouldn't have to tow it if the starter broke. Having your car towed is embarrassing :emb: My flywheel is fine, no broken teeth I spun it 360. There's no smoke in my exhaust idles fine.

It's running fine, it will surge occasionally though with constant acceleration but I think that may be my fuel pump getting ready to go. I noticed my coolant was a little low, but I saw my water pump was dripping some so I filled it up and left it with that it went from full to quarter full in 4 months.

All I've done to the car since I bought it is spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, resealed the intake manifold and threw in ls7 lifters.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Alright so my starter broke a few days ago........I replaced it with a remanufactured one,........

I noticed my coolant was a little low,

but I saw my water pump was dripping some so I filled it up and left it with that it went from full to quarter full in 4 months.......
Check your oil for signs of coolent......you may have a blown head gasket.

KW

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
starters on these engines sometimes require shimming, if you are sure your flywheel is in good shape. if the clearance is too low, the bendix wont engage properly all the time

requires a round feeler gauge. you can make the shims yourself easily.

look at this picture: http://shbox.com/1/starter_gear.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
mine did that before, one cylinder filled up with gas and hydrolocked prob was a leaking injector, in my case. when i took the front cover off about 2 gallons of gas came pouring out. Washed all the bearings...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys just got home from work.

Check your oil for signs of coolent......you may have a blown head gasket.

KW
No coolant in the oil, I just changed it about 1.5k miles ago and it still looks fresh out the bottle. Same volume too, none added none lost :D

starters on these engines sometimes require shimming, if you are sure your flywheel is in good shape. if the clearance is too low, the bendix wont engage properly all the time

requires a round feeler gauge. you can make the shims yourself easily.

look at this picture: http://shbox.com/1/starter_gear.jpg
My flywheel is fine, you can see where theres some wear from the starter but there's no warping or damage. How can I make the bendix extend and not spin so I can gap it properly? :)

mine did that before, one cylinder filled up with gas and hydrolocked prob was a leaking injector, in my case. when i took the front cover off about 2 gallons of gas came pouring out. Washed all the bearings...
Alright how would someone go about checkin for this? I changed the injector o rings while I was resealin the intake manifold if that means anything.

·
Global Moderator
13,567 Posts
If you remove the large battery connection wire from the starter and leave the purple solenoid wire on, when you turn ignition switch to start just the solenoid will pop out, starter won't turn engine over.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Pull the spark plugs,place towels alongside,crank over, see if any gas shoots out. If yes, blow out with compressed air. Then remove fuel rail, prop up, turn key on to prime system, watch for leaking injector. Also check the fuel pressure regulator. It can cause the problem as well. I am only giving you a suggestion based on my past experience. Good luck. Chris.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Pull the spark plugs,place towels alongside,crank over, see if any gas shoots out. If yes, blow out with compressed air. Then remove fuel rail, prop up, turn key on to prime system, watch for leaking injector. Also check the fuel pressure regulator. It can cause the problem as well. I am only giving you a suggestion based on my past experience. Good luck. Chris.
I'll pop my fuel rail tomorrow and prime it to see what it does. I appreciate everyone's help, I'm grateful for any bits of experience and knowledge as I'm just slapping my forehead at it and that's not getting it done.

f you remove the large battery connection wire from the starter and leave the purple solenoid wire on, when you turn ignition switch to start just the solenoid will pop out, starter won't turn engine over.
Alright great thanks! I've still got a dead one bolted in at the moment but I'll try and pop the gear out and see what kind of contact this one is making

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It ended up being my flywheel, I measured it with a ruler and sure enough it was bent. $450 :( but everything else checked out fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts