LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to replace my rear rims which are 17x11 for the 315 tires I like the looks of the 315s but are they causing me problems? Are 315 tires on a 1997 trans am ws6 worth it or is the factory tire size all the way around better? Downfalls to 315s? Pros of 315 besides looks? Also I've noticed from standstill only my right tire will leave black marks my rear end is 3.42 limited slip positraction. Am I missing something cause I thought both tires are suppose to burn and leave black marks. I've read many different things that it only spins one tire cause of certain traction I've read have to put in low gear to spin both tires. I've also read that my rear end is bad if only one tire is spinning like that yet it seems to drive fine and I have no howling noises or anything and been driving this car for 5 years. Very confused please opinions and help thank you

·
Global Moderator
13,436 Posts
Yes, both tires should leave rubber. Seeing how your car is 24 years old, maybe the limited slip is needing attention.

Before you start buying parts, try changing rear end lube. Don't forget to add GM limited slip additive.

If this doesn't cure problem, time for a rear end rebuild. Those 315 tires I'm sure look good. But the wider the tire you put on your car, the more stress rear end is going to take.

Seeing how the 10 bolt rear end is not known for it's durability under higher than normal loads. Also, if you have a 6 speed manual trans, those 315 tires, along with burning the rear tires, should eventually kill the rear end.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts