LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please need some help!!

Hello everyone I am so stumped, I just installed a new set of pacesetter mid's over last weekend, an adventure it self, anyways during the installation the little nub on the EGR sheared off. We didn't think to much off it and continued to remove the stock manifolds, since we were right there threw in some new plugs and wires. Put everything back together would not start. We were both tired anyways next morning fired right up. Installed the Y-pipe and bolted up a small section of pipe were my cat used to be. After everything is completed I look in the box and my buddy forgot to put the gasket on portion of the EGR tube that connects to the header! First test drive, cars running like shit! I double checked everything like ten times over. Firing order, plug wires, plugs, replaced both 02 sensors at the headers. I had it scanned with an Actron CP9145 as my 1995 TA has the OBDII hook up with the OBD PCM, one stupid code about my AC. Could not get one freakin' blot tight on the Y-pipe, took it into a muffler shop the cranked it down for me no problem. I was hoping that would solve the exhaust leak issue, well it didn't. Took the car on the freeway and was being passed by shitty ass Omni's it was so slow and unresponsive. When I did the tune up I did not touch the opti just figured I would leave well enough alone. Can someone reply with some advice as I feel like smashing the car with a hammer. I think its the EGR tube that is causing this.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I did the same exact thing with my long tubes. Put everything back together and realized I didn't put on the gasket. It was such a pain to line it up I coated around it with red RTV. Not the "right" fix. But I have not had any problems. I also told the muffler shop to weld the rear of the Y-pipe to ensure there were no leaks. I'd also say to double check ALL of the air lines. I noticed that alot of mine were cracked and a couple ripped when I was pulling them off. Also, the clamps that came with pacesetters seemed kind of cheap so I picked up some band clamps

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Running like shit

So.. Should I pull the headers? And replace the shitty paper gaskets, to be safe? remove the reaming part of the EGR tube and lock it in with high temp. gasket sealant and / or put the gasket in place? I know those are dumb questions but there was a lot of work involved to install the headers, I do not believe those are leaking... however I know that with the cheap ass gaskets.... Has anyone had the same issues with the vehicle running like shit after installing headers? I just dunno what to do, I am trying to pay a $25,000 debt at the moment... another time. So with that being said, should I pay four times retail and have an auto parts store order me a part that is no longer manufactured? Delete the EGR all together or make my own hose out of say for instance like a braided hose. Please advise.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: Just installed headers and car running like crap

It's worth a shot. I don't think it would make your car run as bad as you say it does. Did you re - torque the bolts? Did you use the gasket that came with the headers? I have heard Aweful reviews on those which is why I went with Percys gaskets. There are a lot of other people who are more knowledgeable than me but if it's running that bad it may be a leak around the exhaust manifold it's self

·
Registered
406 Posts
I ended up blocking up all mine and jbweld on the tube from the header, but b4 that when i had the egr stuff I had a sm leak from that tube and it didn't effect drivability at all, i fixed it with a jerry rigged band clamp.. I gotta say I doubt.any sm exhaust leaks would cause this issue.. but not.sure what would. My first thought would be the 02 sensors or somthing with plugs /wires.. it idles good?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used the gaskets that came with the kit, I don't think it's leaking from there at all, my first thought Is a plug or wire, but it idles fine, nothing on the scanner about an ignition issue. I've checked everything over several times, it's the only thing left, unless its my distributer, it sounds good and strong during idle and when revving the engine, it's when driving at a low rpm is it bad, high rpm seems ok, deceleration not as bad as I have read for others, it sounds like there is a huge hole in my exhaust at low rpm

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to figure it out, I'm having a hell of a time finding a new egr tube, I'm going to try and fix it tomorrow morning, if anyone has any suggestions or advice I'm all ears, my buddy says the high temp gasket sealant is shit, what's your guys experience with it?

·
Registered
406 Posts
sounds like it only happens under load... Be carefull doing this.. but jack up the rear.. engage the trans and see if it stumbles., having that load might help you replicate.. I doubt its a dist issue.. maybe something a plug wire arching under vibration ... Or somethin g like that. sounds nasty.. whenever I get really weird crap I take it tk the dealer and pay the 90 to have them diagnose it... Good luck..

·
Registered
620 Posts
This may sound kinda crazy and i wouldnt expect it from you but did you correctly gap the spark plugs? And also use the right spark plug wires in the right spots? I know this, A spark plug wire that is TOO long can throw off your engine timing (Atleast with the old sbc) Happened to me when i installed my headers. The High temp do it yourself wires were too long and they were causing it to fumble at low rpm but ran decent at higher rpms. We adjusted our wires and it was like a miracle.

p.s. dont smash your car with a hammer ^.^

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank all of you for replying, I did not check the gaping of the plugs as my buddy already had four in before I even started working on it. Should I must some water on my wires tonight? Maybe see if they arch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is my list of shit I've done
Ac delco plat plugs n wires
New 4le60 a4
Cai
Pacesetter Mids cat delete
Flowmaster 80 series
New glass up front
Refurbished stock radio w/ steering wheel controls and has 3.5 input
K&N oil filter
And a bunch of misc. little things

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My car has a obs1 with obdII hook up, it's a '95. The error that came up was a/c clutch issue, could that be the issue. I looked it up in my chitons manual (p0645) obdII code. How is this possible. If I have and obdI PCM or do I obdII, my PCM is not black it's mill aluminum which indicates obdI if I am correct

·
Registered
134 Posts
your car is still obd1 you will need the gm techII scanner or a more exspensive scanner like a snap-on or equivilent to scan. Since its obd1 it will not throw any mis-fire codes like the obd2 will so it would be hard to pin point a cylinder that maybe mis-firing. I would highly doubt you would have a new wire arching to ground so you might check that all wires have completly snapped onto the plugs and distributor and at the coil. Also check that no wires such as O2 wiring got pinched by the headers when you installed them although that should throw a code wierder things have happened. Also check that all spark plugs in fact did get tightened.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My obdII is aluminum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1/4" gap without a gasket, there's the exhaust leak I hear, and the sluggish running problem all In a nutshell, going to try to repair and bend the tube attached to the header on place, any recommendation on gasket sealant, rtv plus the gasket that came with the kit?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I dont know if rtv will stand up to the exhaust heat., also with a bolt being on only one side its a pain to get a reasonable seal. I would prob jbweld it..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts