LS1LT1 Forum banner

Is my gear pattern acceptable?? Help please

4K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Blackbird95 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my first gear swap. I have .009 backlash and I'm using a .045 pinion shim right now. The original pinion shim was .030 with a 2.73 gear. I'm switching to a 4.10 motive gear set with a "thick" ring gear. The instructions for the motive gears say .007-.009 backlash. I've been taking my time measuring everything for a few weeks now, trying all different pinion shims, running patterns, trying different marking compounds, have been using stock carrier shims though. Is it normal to be able to reuse stock carrier shims with the stock carrier? The gear pattern has been a bit difficult to read for me and the pictures I have posted seem to be about as good as I've gotten so far. I am using .009 backlash and a .045 pinion shim in these patterns. Please give me some useful input to assist me in finishing this project once and for all, its been weeks of fiddling with this rear end. Is this a good pattern or are there adjustments that I still need to make? Thanks to anyone for any help.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Best I can explain it is; contact spot should be oval in shape. There should be roughly equal distance from top to bottom. Also roughly equal distance left to right on the gear tooth.

Your contact point on the gear tooth is skewed slightly to the right. And too far up on gear. If you look at last pic, there's more yellow dye on left side of gear than right. Thus contact point is a little too far to right as dye is removed from where contact is made.

In the up down sector, your contact point is a nice 3/4 oval with it running out of space at the top. Contact point should be a complete oval with yellow dye left at bottom & top of gear tooth.

#9 ·
According to the gear manufacturer (motive) the pattern with .036 and .006-.007 backlash is an acceptable pattern. I'm still running different patterns trying to improve upon it, but the pinion depth tool calls for a .036 shim and the ring gear is stamped .006 backlash from the factory and that pattern is what I am left with. Should I leave it that way?

#11 ·
Its amazing to me that the motive rep says that the pattern is acceptable, but two other tech support reps from two other well known gear vendors said what you said, that the pattern is too high on the tooth and suggest between a .041-.044 shim, which I will be trying today. I feel like the motive rep doesn't know what he is looking at and is giving me short answers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.