LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys im on here again lol, just to give you some backround on my problem it all started when i left from a light nicely in first then mid first i punched it and banged 2nd gear ( 93 z28 m6) as soon as it did that a loud wining accured, i assumed it was something in my tranny since i started running into gear issues. Well after driving another day with the wining noise that got louder the higher i went in speed it started to clunk and the rear wheels started locking almost every rotations. I had the car towed home and dropped the trans. Now that the trans is out i spun the input shaft and it spins fine. But with my car in the air and my rear wheels free of the driveshaft i put the brake down and tried spinning by hand just to notice its still locking every rotation or two. Is this my rear? And if so what can it be specifictly. I just spent 1200 getting my transmission rebuilt and dont have much to spend on this seeing as im 19 and only have a part time job. Is it possible ican just replace what is broken in the rear and leave the rest alone? If ao what exactly is causing this. Also if it helps my abs inop came on the last drive an it never come on before that. Thanks for any help

·
Global Moderator
12,991 Posts
I believe AlantaDan means the best case it's those. Sounds to me like you have a major problem with the gear set in the rear end.

You can buy the new gears but installing them is another story. You have to take critical measurement then add or subtract shims to get those measurements in the correct range.

Takes a dial gauge and proper setup equipment to make those measurements. Something that most 19 year olds don't own.

And the knowledge of how to do all necessary procedures.

So my suggestion, after taking a look see inside the rear, is to buy a good used rear end on craigslist or a salvage yard. Then install said rear into your car. This is a job most young people can handle with no problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe AlantaDan means the best case it's those. Sounds to me like you have a major problem with the gear set in the rear end.

You can buy the new gears but installing them is another story. You have to take critical measurement then add or subtract shims to get those measurements in the correct range.

Takes a dial gauge and proper setup equipment to make those measurements. Something that most 19 year olds don't own.

And the knowledge of how to do all necessary procedures.

So my suggestion, after taking a look see inside the rear, is to buy a good used rear end on craigslist or a salvage yard. Then install said rear into your car. This is a job most young people can handle with no problem.
Ok i found someone selling one from an a4 for 150$ if my research has did me correct a4s come with a different gear set than the m6 i know the m6 is 3.42. Do you think if i buy the one from the a4 and buy maybe 3.73 gears too get installed at a shop it will cost alot of money? if what you say is true about working on it than yea i deffinetly dont want to attempt it on my daily driver, also last question would going 3.73 be noticably faster or just faster unnecessary shifting given that its a m6? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for all your input!

·
Registered
861 Posts
If u think ur gears are shot y not have a shop instal new gears in urs3.73s. It would cost u at least $400 to buy gears and have them installed. And yes 3.73s would be faster in say tje quarter mile but slower up top

1 - 4 of 4 Posts