LS1LT1 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I cut the wires to the air pump and still have short circuit.
I couldnt find a pump near me either .
I took the car to dealer and they saw opti spark and wet themselves LOL
They refered me to christenson automotive former gm mechanics
and the saw all the dtcs and assumed realy expensive fix and blamed short on maf plug..
they saw the wired in fan switch mod and mickey mouse radio and amplifier wiring and DTCs and wet themselves.
and the missing one of two cats that I was going to replace cause it got smashed ..
Im still hunting for the short Ill keep you posted Im replacing maf plug but I dont think thats it..
it has short with maf unplugged.
when I turn the key to on it takes about 2 minutes for the maf fuse to heat up to where it burns you.
still hunting keep you posted

·
Global Moderator
13,060 Posts
If you haven't downloaded 96 service manual, do so at following link. www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

You need to consult the air injection wiring diagram. It's on page 6E-463. Now, finding this will confuse most people. Section 6 of manual has section 6A-6D all right after each other. But you'll find that section 6E is not after section 6D.

You'll have to look further in the manual to find sec. 6E. But it's there. Right after sec. 11 you'll find the book 1 index. After the index, book 2 begins. This is where ses 6E starts. Go to page 6E-463 for air inj wiring.

You will note that air inj sys consists of fuse #7 in underhood fuse box. There's also the air inj relay in underhood fuse box. Followed by the pump. Then the air inj bleed valve solenoid.

Since you determined that air pump is not shorted, this leaves wiring from fuse to pump. Wiring to relay, or the relay itself. Or the wiring to the bleed valve.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Im sure I wired my starter wrong .
There are 4-5 wires going to top big bolt on cylanoid one big one on bottom with positive battery cable
and purple wire going to left small terminial.
I can see 4-5 wires on top big terminal have cooked insulation off wires LOL
the four to 5 wires go on bottom big terminal with big positive battery cable right .
some body please confirm. LOL
I cant find a picture or diagram for 97 starter any where

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
thats all I can find to Im thinking the 97s are one of a kind but thanks for trying.
I think Im going to probe those wires off the starter bet their positives and I
bet the post there on is the ground for the starter motor

·
Registered
181 Posts
The corvette wiring is a little different, possibly that's what you have?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If you haven't downloaded 96 service manual, do so at following link. www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

You need to consult the air injection wiring diagram. It's on page 6E-463. Now, finding this will confuse most people. Section 6 of manual has section 6A-6D all right after each other. But you'll find that section 6E is not after section 6D.

You'll have to look further in the manual to find sec. 6E. But it's there. Right after sec. 11 you'll find the book 1 index. After the index, book 2 begins. This is where ses 6E starts. Go to page 6E-463 for air inj wiring.

You will note that air inj sys consists of fuse #7 in underhood fuse box. There's also the air inj relay in underhood fuse box. Followed by the pump. Then the air inj bleed valve solenoid.

Since you determined that air pump is not shorted, this leaves wiring from fuse to pump. Wiring to relay, or the relay itself. Or the wiring to the bleed valve.
There are 4-5 wires going to top big bolt on cylanoid one big one on bottom with positive battery cable
the four to 5 wires go on bottom big terminal with big positive battery cable right .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The starter stuff was all good
Im not sure the short tracker Isnt taking me for a ride
but it keeps taking me to the plug by the wires I cut and I think it might be picking it up through engine block
My 5 volt yellow wire and ground on maf plug are good the 12 volt wire is showing nothing I think
I need to track it but that have to wait Im tired maybe tomorrow
I was chasing off the fuse .
It might be better tracking off the 12 volt wire in plug

·
Global Moderator
13,060 Posts
You need to consult my last post. Except for the 1 wire which goes to starter body, those large wires on starter solenoid are part of the power distribution system. Yes, if there is a dead short somewhere, these wires are going to get hot enough to melt insulation.

But your probably casing your tail on this. You need to use the 96 service manual for wiring help. The power distribution diagram starts on page 8A-10-0. It is followed by ground distribution, then fuse box diagrams.

Did a quick check of power distribution diagrams. They only showed 1 large black wire from battery to starter. I don't know what the other wires are for. You should trace them.

The battery should have 2 large red wires. 1 goes to junction box on passenger side inner fender. The other goes to alt. Seeing the age of the car, previous owner could have had problems and moved wiring. The junction box is where all power gets routed to everything but starter & alt.

Junction box is where fusible links are. Everything coming out of junction box should have a fusible links in the wire. If a previous owner had fusible links go out, he/she might have wired replacements direct to starter. Then to electrical components.

Troubleshooting electrical problems requires a well organized, systematic approach to the job.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Check this out I had the short chaser hooked to the 12 volt maf sensor wire and key on it was showing 1.3 volts
And my short chaser was going back an forth between short and open do do do do LOL and I couldnt lock on the signal with the receiver .Scratching my head I put my hand on fuse box.
And my sender went Quiet.
Afraid to move my hand I checked the volts on the maf wire with my left and got twelve volts.
I lifted hand and do do do do LOL I started playing with the fuse and had total control.
Some how its hitting either the injector fuse and wires or the ignition fuse and wires
and I have to keep tension on fuse for it not to short..
How the heck does the fuse box come off ?

·
Global Moderator
13,060 Posts
I've never removed a 4th gen fuse box, but they're usually held on by either screws or those plastic pop up pins.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts