LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 impala ss that I bought from my budy and I have a few questions about it like, estimated quarter mile time, dyno whp and torque numbers..experienced members only please. I'm looking for knowledge based off of experience.Mods: edelbrock high performance aluminum heads, crane cam(mild),crane roller rockers and roller lifters, crane valve springs, hardened pushrods. Full exhaust- Tri y longtube headers, borla stainless steal catback. Raiss intake( the one with ram air scoop under front bumper). Msd, msd ignition and opti with msd coils as well. This was dyno tuned and we can't find the dyno sheets but only the receipts. I called the company who tuned it and apparently it is making over 500hp based off the mods and what he remembers..I am no noob by any means and that really just sounds way to high.. Also as far as the tranny goes it is all stock and has "NO HIGHSTALL CONVERTER" which I also think is kinda nuts. Due to the exhaust combination the idle isn't very choppy.. No I don't know the lobe specs of the cam but I couldn't imagine it being much bigger then stock due to the driveability being just fine without a higher stall. So tell me what you think!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Is the motor a factory unit,or has it under gone modification?
Do you want a 1/4 time with drag type tires and closed or open headers?
Right there, with this car, you are looking at about .5 seconds difference! ed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bottom end is factory (5.7) lt1otherwise look at the mods I listed. No radials I'm running z rates tires stock tire specs for impala

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have a 95 impala ss that I bought from my budy and I have a few questions about it like, estimated quarter mile time, dyno whp and torque numbers..experienced members only please. I'm looking for knowledge based off of experience.

Mods: edelbrock high performance aluminum heads,
crane cam(mild),
crane roller rockers and roller lifters,
crane valve springs,
hardened pushrods.

Full exhaust- Tri y longtube headers,
borla stainless steal catback.
Raiss intake( the one with ram air scoop under front bumper).
Msd, msd ignition and opti with msd coils as well.

This was dyno tuned and we can't find the dyno sheets but only the receipts.

I called the company who tuned it and apparently it is making over 500hp based off the mods and what he remembers..

I am no noob by any means and that really just sounds way to high.. Also as far as the tranny goes it is all stock and has "NO HIGHSTALL CONVERTER" which I also think is kinda nuts.

Due to the exhaust combination the idle isn't very choppy.. No I don't know the lobe specs of the cam but I couldn't imagine it being much bigger then stock due to the driveability being just fine without a higher stall. So tell me what you think!
A lot depends on whether those Edelbrock heads were ported or not.....and which Crane Cam you have.

But I'd be WAAAAAAAAY surprised, based off your 'not very choppy' idle quality, that it's bigger than the 227 cam. And if that's the case, I doubt that you're making more than 310HP to the wheels.....which would come out to just under 400HP from the engine.

Probably, at best, a low-14 second quarter.....with that stock converter and gears.

KW

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
......Do you want a 1/4 time with drag type tires and closed or open headers?
Right there, with this car, you are looking at about .5 seconds difference! ed
Closed vs open headers won't make much of a difference since he ain't running enough head/cam for the exhaust to be a restriction.

KW

·
Registered
807 Posts
KW, I know this is all theoritical ,but I still say that a good set of
drag tires and open headers will improve the et on a car such as this
by a half second. I have seen this happen several times. There are alot of variables here but it wouldnt be impossible for this car,tuned properly,good bitting track,good air day,shifted at its optimum RPM, to run high 13 seconds. And with that the only way to know what its capable of is get it to the track! ed

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
big drag tires aren't miraculous. and it's a heavy car. who knows what the suspension is like? probably stock.

launching on the stock converter, and with likely a huge amount of chassis and suspension flex (which is even worse on stickies)...

i dont think any amount of sticky rubber is going to propel this midly modified boat into the high 13s

who knows though

·
Registered
807 Posts
big drag tires aren't miraculous. and it's a heavy car. who knows what the suspension is like? probably stock.

launching on the stock converter, and with likely a huge amount of chassis and suspension flex (which is even worse on stickies)...

i dont think any amount of sticky rubber is going to propel this midly modified boat into the high 13s

who knows though
Stevo, What I meant when referring to good tires is exactly that,I wasnt
thinking on using funny car tires or something like that. Just a good set of smallish drag radials that would be optimum for this car. With a stock converter you would probably want to over inflate the tires so you would get a couple revolutions of spin off the line replicating,sort of, a smaller
converter thus keeping the HP up on the motor. I have seen and worked with ,being an ex NHRA stock eliminator racer, all sorts of combinations
of cars in my lifetime, thus on a good day I think that big ass impala could
break into the 13 second barrier. ed

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
KW, I know this is all theoritical ,but I still say that a good set of
drag tires and open headers will improve the et on a car such as this
by a half second. I have seen this happen several times. There are alot of variables here but it wouldnt be impossible for this car,tuned properly,good bitting track,good air day,shifted at its optimum RPM, to run high 13 seconds. And with that the only way to know what its capable of is get it to the track! ed
1. He already has an aftermarket exhaust.....open headers aren't gonna do much at all. Like I said.....his exhaust isn't a restriction.

2. Stock gears and TC means not....or very little tire spin at launch. Drag radials won't help under those circumstances.

3. Stock TC will limit 'pull' after each shift. That stock TC just won't allow that engine to rev where it needs to in order to accelerate that beast.

4. Yes....the only way to know if he can it 13's is to run it. And if he hits 13's in any manner.....other than going down-hill.....I'd be a more than a little surprised.

KW

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
1. He already has an aftermarket exhaust.....open headers aren't gonna do much at all. Like I said.....his exhaust isn't a restriction.

KW
he has Borla exhaust which is 2 1/4", same as stock. Mufflers may flow better than stock

given stock stall and gears and stock tires he will struggle to get better than a 2.2xx 60' time.....if all the stars lined up (track/weather conditions) ...high 13's are "possible" but I suspect low 14's

OP, take it to the track, drive around the water box and just spin the tires briefly. mash the pedal when you see the 2nd yellow and find out wtf it will run

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
he has Borla exhaust which is 2 1/4", same as stock........
I'm surprised at you, Balls :eek: .

While Borla is indeed, a 2 1/4" system......

Stock = 2 1/4" from the cats to the mufflers (which are very restrictive), and 2" from the mufflers to the tails.

The Borla is only moderate as exhaust systems go.....but it is FAR superior over the stock exhaust.

KW

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I'm surprised at you, Balls :eek: .

While Borla is indeed, a 2 1/4" system......

Stock = 2 1/4" from the cats to the mufflers (which are very restrictive), and 2" from the mufflers to the tails.

The Borla is only moderate as exhaust systems go.....but it is FAR superior over the stock exhaust.

KW
stock is 2" from mufflers back....been since 96 when I had a 2.5" "CAT back" system installed. Did not know/remember the back 1/2 was 2"

Borla makes a quality system but high $, all Stainless and their mufflers flow better than the stock bricks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm a college student in NJ. So when I exit the parking lot after class there is always a chance to see what your car is made of for almost a 1/4 starting from a stop light going up a hill then down a hill to a straight away.. I happen to pull up next to a 96 green z28 t-tops with full exhaust and probably full bolt ons. He took off first and I happened to get a good launch which is usually easy to do due to me practicing launches with my old mildly modded ls1 z28 that i used to have. Going up the hill i started to pull hard and then I eventually passed him going down the hill and I was probably about 2-3 car lengths ahead on the straight away with me still showing signs of pulling away even further if the race continued. I ran into him the next day to find out he ran a 13.89 at English town and he was seriously surprised of the outcome. He ended up having full exhaust cai hp tuned (auto) stock gears. It seems to me that maybe most of you guys including myself underated this impala. I will definetly take it down the quarter so I will have a time slip to put up on here. This thurs I'm installing an lt4 knock module which should help me gain a good amount of ponys per dollar due to the fact I have roller rockers/ roller lifters . Reguardless of the dyno tune I'm sure the stock knock module is pulling some timing. Do you think this small mod would typically make a difference in the quarter based off of experience?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
.........This thurs I'm installing an lt4 knock module which should help me gain a good amount of ponys per dollar due to the fact I have roller rockers/ roller lifters . Reguardless of the dyno tune I'm sure the stock knock module is pulling some timing. Do you think this small mod would typically make a difference in the quarter based off of experience?
That module will only help you if your sensors are picking up the roller rocker clatter as knock.

And to be honest.....that ain't altogether a sure thing. And there's really no way to know except to scan the engine while you're driving it.

KW

1 - 20 of 25 Posts