LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always read that cold air intakes will all give you about the same horsepower so just choose the one you like and be done with it, which is logical thinking....with the LS1, since there all the same design (A lid). What about on an LT1 F-body though, The designs vary so much. I mean the SLP one has two different filters, which to me would seem like it is more optomized for low rpm breathing or upper rpm breathing (not sure which one). Then theres the K&N, Moroso, and G2, which are all unique in their own way. Thats probably not even half of them either. So what is the most effective one, Is there a most effective one, and which one do you guys use and would you recommend it?

·
Registered
329 Posts
All intakes are NOT created equal. Moroso and K&N have put in the research to create superior intakes, even over SLP. My personal opinion, and also what I've heard from others, is that K&N yields the highest HP gains.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Since I have heard lots of good things about the Arizona Speed intake, that is the one I will be using here in the near future. Hope it works out ok.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I made my own, but the Lingenfelter unit is pretty good and its one of the cheapest on the market. I think it can be had for around $180 bucks.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
SLP= heat soak with that metal intake tube. K&N or Moroso would be my choice.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you all think of the arizona speed intake?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought the K&N fipk and it works great it even came with a little dyno sheet saying it gave the lt1 18hp, wether its 18 or not i dont know but its still good

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay I really like the Arizona Speed intake because its freaking gorgeous and im sure it will give me gains and thats was my for sure choice until... I've always been told to stay away formt he LG motorsports G2 intake because its a rip and it looks like its just a stock airbox cut in half and it flows like crap. Which all appears to be true when you look at it. Ive also always here praise about the lingenfeler/accel intake for flowing so good and being so cheap. Today iw as stumbling through my Year One catalog when i noticed the Lingenfelter intake claimed it flowed 50% better than stock and i was like hell yeah. Then i kept browsing and i noticed the G2 one said it flowed 71% better than the stock system! WHAT?!?! So right now im in between the G2 and the Arizona speed. I dont know yet. Does any body else have some improvement stats maybe we can finally put this question to rest.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Enthusiast said:
Okay I really like the Arizona Speed intake because its freaking gorgeous and im sure it will give me gains and thats was my for sure choice until... I've always been told to stay away formt he LG motorsports G2 intake because its a rip and it looks like its just a stock airbox cut in half and it flows like crap. Which all appears to be true when you look at it. Ive also always here praise about the lingenfeler/accel intake for flowing so good and being so cheap. Today iw as stumbling through my Year One catalog when i noticed the Lingenfelter intake claimed it flowed 50% better than stock and i was like hell yeah. Then i kept browsing and i noticed the G2 one said it flowed 71% better than the stock system! WHAT?!?! So right now im in between the G2 and the Arizona speed. I dont know yet. Does any body else have some improvement stats maybe we can finally put this question to rest.

Don't believe what the manufactures say. For the LT1 between K&N, LPE, Moroso, they all do the same thing, draw cooler air in from under the fender. easy as that. Go with what you think looks the best. I went with LPE becuase I picked it up locally from their shop for $135. Comes with a K&N cone filter.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Good points Bawls. Remember the stock engine can only suck in so much air. You could create an intake that flows 200% more air but it doesn't mean all that air is going to make it into the engine.

Same thing with air filters. It only has to flow so much.

The main thing you're doing with the CAI is eliminating restrictions. Ideally at WOT you want the pressure inside the intake manifold to be = to atmospheric pressure. There's going to be some pressure drop through the throttle body, etc., but you want to minimize it.

That's why I'm an advocate of larger throttle bodies even on lightly modded cars. Some folks say because the math says the stocker flows enough to support 450hp that its all you need.

Well, yes, under ideal conditions it flows enough to feed 450hp, but its unquestionable IMO it will take less effort to suck 500cfm through a 58mm tb than through a 48mm tb and there will be less pressure drop in the process. The 58 is going to therefore allow a bit more air into intake plenum, and then when the intake valve opens there's going to be a little more pressure forcing air into the cylinder.

You can measure this yourself by doing data logging at WOT 48mm vs. 58mm and looking at the kPa differences in manifold vacuum. 100kPa is atmospheric. I was seeing 93-95kPA at WOT with a 52mm and when I went to the 58mm I get 98-100 consistently.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts