LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 90% sure I want to convert my '95 Buick Roadmaster 5.7 lt1 to a naturally aspirated engine. It's currently sitting in my '50 Chevy 3100 very nice rat rod/mediocre street rod pickup build. I'm 67 years old...grew up on points, plugs and condenser tune-ups as a Texaco gas station attendant 50 years ago! I only have enough knowledge of EFI engines to be dangerous I and don't care to learn at this stage of my life. (Why did I use this engine you say...know the history of this low mileage freebie).
Being that this engine is out of a Buick, are there intake manifolds out there that are compatible for the conversion in question? I know GMPP sells one under stock# 24502592. Without reviewing the site, I believe it's marketed as a Chevy intake. I've discovered subtle and not so subtle differences from Buick to Chevy lt1's. Once I get past the intake question I believe the rest, i.e.,distributor, carb,etc.,won't be any problem.
So, are there intake(s) out there that will work with the Buick lt1? I would hope not to use one with a bow tie stamped on it...I like the idea of having something a little different than a SBC. (I plan on some unique Buick valve covers to let others know).
Thanks in advance for your time and effort.

·
Global Moderator
13,303 Posts
The Buick lt1 is a chevy 2nd generation sbc. The chevy manifold will work fine for the buick lt1. Unless the chevy manifold is for a lt4 engine. Which is a higher performance version of the lt1.

The intake off a lt4 was made to match lt4 cylinder heads. Bolt holes ind intake runners would not match up on lt1 heads.

So your planning to ditch the fuel injection. What do you plan to do about the optispark distributor and the PCM & engine trans wiring harness. The lt1 intake does have a place where the regular sbc distributor can be mounted. But you would have to have a machine shop to drill out the hole for you. If you want to go that route.

Are you planning on using the 4l60E transmission that came in the buick? If yes, it won't function without computer control.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Buick lt1 is a chevy 2nd generation sbc. The chevy manifold will work fine for the buick lt1. Unless the chevy manifold is for a lt4 engine. Which is a higher performance version of the lt1.

The intake off a lt4 was made to match lt4 cylinder heads. Bolt holes ind intake runners would not match up on lt1 heads.

So your planning to ditch the fuel injection. What do you plan to do about the optispark distributor and the PCM & engine trans wiring harness. The lt1 intake does have a place where the regular sbc distributor can be mounted. But you would have to have a machine shop to drill out the hole for you. If you want to go that route.

Are you planning on using the 4l60E transmission that came in the buick? If yes, it won't function without computer control.
I would use a GM Performance Product style lt1 intake for a carb, #24502592...comes with the distributor hole in it. Checking to see if there are aftermarket intakes without the Chevy bow tie emblem embossed on it.
In regards to the OS, it would be replaced with a HEI distributor. I've read about "mini-computers" for running just the tranny...haven't researched much there. Once the VAT is disabled it may be easier to integrate it with the engine. I'm leaning at this time to swap it out with a 700R4. I want to use my original speedometer, (and other gauges). The 700R4 can be modified fairly easy to accommodate the speedo cable plus no electronics. I'm discovering the "freebie factor" isn't so free.
That's where I am at this time. I realize that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts