LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up a set of what I think are LT-1 alum heads, ( I believe reverse flow)
any special info in installing on older 350, ( pre 87)
Thanks
cruzn57

·
Registered
52 Posts
LT1 heads can easly be identifed by the tapped water passage in the back of the heads. They are reverse watercooled and not compatable with non LT1 smallblocks. The iron verison of the heads are referred to as vortecs and will fit the SBC as long as you use a vortec manifold which start are $160 for a square carb application. Your best bet is to sell them to someone with a LT1 block. These heads were only installed on camaro/firebird and corvette from 1992-1997. Vortecs cam on 1994-1996 B-bodies and 1996-1999 C/K trucks and vans. The vortecs also sell at mail order places for ~$500. They are a great upgrade for the SBC.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Actually the 94-96 B-bodies got LT1 heads, not VOrtecs, they were just iron not aluminum.

I agree, LT1's can be modified to fit a SBC but not cheaply. Money's better spent on another set of heads. The big problem is the coolant passages are all in the wrong places and there are no head-to-intake coolant crossovers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
DUH! The B-bodies used the same water pump and distributor. But the heads ports and chambers design was close to the vortecs flow and power found in the trucks. :clown:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so......

you suggest I get the casting numbers of these to verfy what they are?
they look like normal sbc heads, not LS1 style, no fittings on either end,
only difference I see ,are larger openings on water transfer ports on head surface, haven't checked a head gasket on them yet,
thanks for your help!
cruzn57

1 - 5 of 5 Posts