LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i am goin to be replacing the factory junk ten bolt on my T/A. Ive been told that the S60 is the only way to go. I hear that they are about the toughest rear end out there so what do you guys think. And does a s60 weigh alot more than the ten bolt and how much are we just talkin a few lbs thanks

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rear end

Ya ive heard once u start getting around 400 rwhp a s60 is the only way to go i guess its pretty much indestructable

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
i'd figure 25-30 pounds more at least; a good portion of that has to be in the rotating section, and the diff is unsprung weight, so betcha it'll feel like there's a dead body in your trunk...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
could go with a 9in too. i think i'm going to go with a 12bolt so i don't have to deal with computer tuning

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Computer tuning aint a big deal. I just wana no that if i do a hard launch im not gonna grenade the rear. Ive heard of guys breakin 12 bolts when u start gettin up around 400 rwhp

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
it's always a fun debate. I've heard of guys having factory freak 10bolts... my honest opinion is get AAA and beat the hell out of the 10bolt till it breaks, then upgrade. for the record all rear ends are mechanical and with that they are all prone to failure, but the failure rate of an S60 and 9in. are much less then that of a 10... for me my car is for driving, not race specific so I feel no personal need to install either of the 2 bigger ones. besides, my tires will break loose before causing less stress on the internal components limiting the potential of failure.... since each are all with in $3k +/- $500, you may as well take the skirt off and go for the S60... i'll decide more when my 10bolt breaks,, til then i'll keep pouring gear oil in till it explodes

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya thanks for the input. Mines mostly just a street car i only go to the track alittle bit. Ya i no anything can fail my car just spins to but if a shitstang pulls up next to me and gets cocky id like to be able to hook up good so i can really smoke him

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
you take down them stangs! I hunt for for the $100k+ venues :D

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya thats funny stompin them 100k cars in a 15-16 yr old fbody i love it

·
Registered
936 Posts
a s60 is just really a dana 60, which my dad has in his 69 camaro race car making 620hp for over 20 years with absolutely no trouble. thats what ill go with when the 10 bolt pops. apparently the s60 has a better angle on the gears and loses less hp than a 9" in turn. but to each his own.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya thanks for the info. I no that its a dana and im glad they make one thats just for fbodys thats probly what ill be goin with when the time comes its good to no that u loose less horse with the s60 i didnt no that

·
10 Second Opti Club
6,736 Posts
I have dealt with every available 4th gen rear aside from an 8.8 build. I like my 9 inch for the 3rd member. Two friends have s60s and they have been great too. 1 behind a t56 the other a 4l60e and neither has missed a beat. With the 9 inch and s60, the torque arm mount beats the trans tunnel up. Its annoying until it clears itself out. My other friend has a 12 bolt and it didn't like his clutch dumps. He only raced a few times and now the gear set is screaming. I can't recall if he had torque arm issues too. I know a couple people running quick 60' times with 10 bolts and sticky tires, neither broke though the one is screaming pretty bad :roflmao:I am guessing here but I would say you are around 100lbs more weight with an aftermarket rear over a 10 bolt. Especially when you add in the bigger suspension components to compliment the install.

could go with a 9in too. i think i'm going to go with a 12bolt so i don't have to deal with computer tuning
What do you mean "deal with computer tuning"? If your gear ratio stays the same, there is nothing to tune for. If you want to keep abs/trac then opt for those options on the rear.

Ya thanks for the input. Mines mostly just a street car i only go to the track alittle bit. Ya i no anything can fail my car just spins to but if a shitstang pulls up next to me and gets cocky id like to be able to hook up good so i can really smoke him
A stronger rear end won't increase your traction (for argument's sake) but better tires will. Are you willing to roll around on et streets with 20 or less psi in them for the off chance you get lined up with something at a light?

a s60 is just really a dana 60, which my dad has in his 69 camaro race car making 620hp for over 20 years with absolutely no trouble. thats what ill go with when the 10 bolt pops. apparently the s60 has a better angle on the gears and loses less hp than a 9" in turn. but to each his own.
Yup, there is less parasitic loss with the s60 but it also weighs the most.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope not gonna roll the streets with 20 psi i do 21 psi no just kidding im goin to invest in suspension mods. Ya its amazing some 10 bolts will take anything u throw at them and some break just takin it easy. My luck mine will break just beein easy im not worried about it now because my car will not hook even with sticky tires but i now the tires that are on the car are a few yrs old and ive heard after just a couple of yrs they loose there stickyness. So its probly a good thing my car doesnt hook up keeps me from breakin the rear

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
Most bolt in 12's should be fine with an auto. A well built 12 bolt will survive much more. I'd go S60 or 9" for a bolt on rear for the M6. If you're worried about weight, there is always the MWC fab 9". Mine always leaked around the driver's side axle seal though. The fit and function of it was excellent though. No beat up tunnel.

Regardless of which you get, either check the wear pattern or have it checked before installation. I've read many threads where the gears aren't set up properly (mostly moser rears). You may also find out that your clutch is inadequate after a few higher rpm dumps.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But dont most rear ends come set up with the gear of ur choice dont they install them and everything. Ya ive got a different clutch in the car it has a ram clutch thats what the guy put in it that had it before me

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
BMXrider, can you show me a reference for either the S60 or 9in. that shows they offer a 3.42 gear option.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
never mind, 8 hundredths difference probably wouldn't change much on the odometer and speedometer...maybe i will look more into the 60...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now does anyone no if theres a breskin period on a new rear

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
always a break in period. when i had 4.10's installed if i remember right was told about 100(?) miles and 3-4 heat cycles. and don't forget to drive in reverse a few times

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.