LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm back. I know that nobody remembers me but I posted last year after I bought my 97 trans am days before making another trip to Afghanistan.

Well this car was obviously somebody else's project who had more money than know how. And I realized I had a heck of a project on my hands. I took it to a couple shops but nobody would touch it. I was really bumbed to say the least.

After getting home I started going through it and fixing things (a lot of time spent figuring out what the dude had done, then making it right ie: tracing the black wires which turn into green wires spliced into red wires etc)

I couldn't get it right and decided that if I was going to do this I'd have to do it right from the bottom up and although i havent been posting at all ive been trolling this site like crazy so thanks for all the help guys. so taxes finally came in and that leads me to where I'm at now;

I've pulled the lt1 out (through the top it was easy) and have enlisted Carolina machines engines to build me a new one (they build race cars and have a good reputation plus they cater to us military guys). I washed all the grime off the car and painted the engine co part,met satin black (looks way better now) now I'm scrubbing parts and tracing wires, vaccum lines and such.

Got a new optispark and clutch etc. I'll keep you guys posted I'm sure ill have a million questions when I can't remember how it goes back together lol.

P.s. I would love to get in touch with anybody else from ft Bragg.

·
Global Moderator
13,438 Posts
Welcome back, and thank you for your service to the country. Back when I was in the military, bases had places where you could take your car to work on it. Do they still?

Anyway, to help you sort out those problems, go to 4th gen section and look for thread titled "GM service manuals". Open thread, click link and download the 96 factory service manual. It will have complete wiring diagrams, driveability and emissions section, troubleshooting charts, pcm connector symptom charts, component location, and most everything else you need. 96 shares about 99% of the info with your 97.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I got that manual and I bought a chiltons as well. We do have an auto skills center but I have to be able to drive the car there lol. My neighbors have been complaining about my car being on blocks (if I can't have a joe dirt car I jack stands in front my house in army housing then I don't know what were fighting for honestly) so I've had to secure the transmission with a ratchet strap and push the car in and out of my garage every time I work on it.

I just ordered a new headliner and some iggee seat covers and I'm meeting a guy off post to pick up a new stereo tonight. (Just piling up parts as I find deals) I'm hoping to get the motor back this weekend so I can get it ready to go back together over Easter weekend (we should have a 4 day)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts