LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is just a basic explanation of what is needed to get data logging on an OBD1 LT1 (1993-1995). I see many guys trying to fix something on their car, but don't have a way to access the PCM on their car to look up codes or see what is going on with the engine. So I thought this may help. I'm not going to provide any direct links, Google is your friend.

To most people, a computer on a car is voodoo. But, for us LT1 guys having the ability to access the information on the PCM is crucial. Unfortunately, most places (even some GM dealerships) lack the equipment to properly access the PCM (especially the 95 cars). This leaves many of us in a tight spot. At least it seems that way; it's not.

Thanks to LT1 addicts and tech guru's that are also members here and on other LT1/Camaro/Firebird forums like Gary Doug and Steveo_ (among others), this problem isn't any more. All you need is an ALDL cable and a laptop and what you can access in the PCM is beyond what most dealerships and certainly all Auto Parts stores can offer to any customer of any car.

So what do you need? First you need the ALDL cable. There's 2 types (well actually 3). The first one is a 12 Pin ALDL, the second is a 16 Pin ALDL (the third is a combination of both a 12 pin and 16 pin). All the cables should have the ALDL connector on one end and a USB connector on the other. The cable you need will depend on the connector in your car, which changed over the 3 year F-Body OBD1 LT1 run. The easiest way to find out which connector you need is to look under the drivers side dash and look at the ALDL plug. The 12 pin will have 12 holes in it and be rectangular (6 pins on top and 6 pins on bottom). The 16 pin will have 16 holes in it (8 on top and 8 on the bottom) and be trapezoidal in shape. A simple Google search for "12 Pin ALDL Cable" or "16 Pin ALDL Cable" should get you to the results you seek, add in LT1 to the Google search if you doubt the results shown. Expect to spend about $60 for the cable and the driver software that should come with the cable.

Now that you have the cable, you need a computer. Most of use now days have a laptop already so this is really a non-expense to us. If you don't already have a laptop go get one. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, Craigslist is your friend. All it needs is Windows XP or newer (so pretty old) and at least 1 USB port, having a good working battery is a very nice bonus but not needed as you can leave it plugged in and run the laptop off an extension cord (if not driving). If you need to drive for a datalog, you'll want the battery. If the laptop you bought is so old they no longer make the battery or it's unavailable, get a 12V to 120V inverter from a local parts store or bargain store (I'd make sure it's rated to about 150W at least) so you can plug in the laptop to the car 12V outlet.

Last, you need the Data Logging program. There's many options available, but the ones I use are Scan9495.exe (by Gary Doug) and EEHack (by Steveo_). Both of these programs work great and best of all are free, but donations are certainly nice to give those guys. Google search any one of these programs to find where to download them.

Now that you have everything you need, you need to get them to all work together. First install the Cable and device driver to your laptop. Then install the data logging program to the laptop. Then connect the cable to the laptop and car and turn everything on; car (usually it's running at this point), laptop, program. The car will not automatically connect to the data logger on the first try. You will have to select the Com Port following the instructions from the Data Logging program you decided to use. Then it should connect. From there you'll see the program doing what it does, data logging.

Understanding what the data logger is showing you takes sometime, and it will come as you continue to use it. But, you don't learn a new language without first listening to and reading it, same goes here. If everything is hooked up correctly, you wont hurt the engine by monitoring what it's doing. There's plenty of guys here (and other forums) that are willing to help read the data logs if you can't, just post em up.

So there you have it. For $60 (sometimes less, if you know how to solder), you can be data logging away. The best part is that if you're a 94-95 car, you're a free program away from Tuning the car (you may need to get a Flash program to load the tunes you do, but that should run $20 IIRC -WinFlash from TunerCats. Although EEHack does have Flash capability for free). But, for $60 what you get is the ability to not just pull codes, but see everything the PCM (and even more for some programs; like Scan9495 can do ABS and SIR too! This is great for bleeding the brake system after an ABS module change as almost no one will have the ability to do it correctly) is seeing to properly diagnose your car.

This really is a necessity for anyone with an OBD1 LT1 vehicle. It's not expensive and will make your life much easier.

Quotes below are some more information provided by other members. Thanks Steveo and Cocobolo!

Steveo said:
thanks for mentioning me in the writeup!

there's a big difference between scan9495 and eehack.

eehack's datalogging/display/playback is optimized for lt1-specific tuning and high acquisition rates and includes afr/spark analysis features. it has tuning-related stuff like wideband support. it does a lot more than just reading data.

but! it'ss fairly weak for diagnosis work since i 'purpose-built' it for tuners. it also only supports 94-95 cars and i have no plan to add support for '93 cars. if you aren't using it for tuning at all, it's perhaps not the best tool for the job.

garydoug's scan9495 software is optimized more for code scanning, also does ABS and SIR codes. it gives you more data, including the extended diagnostic error messages which gives good insight into electrical error codes. it also supports '93 cars. it's way nicer to work with for diagnosing problems.

so mine is way better for tuning, scan9495 is better for diagnosis and wrench work

there's also tunerpro's datalogging which is free, but it's not a 'start it up and go' kind of program, and it's not LT1 specific. it's very powerful, though...

here's my feature comparison of dataloggers: Comparsion of $EE Dataloggers – fbodytech
Steveo said:
links might help too!

scan9495: https://www.mediafire.com/?0elo4c935uc5s#gonkz3785ph7o

eehack: $EEHack – fbodytech

tunerpro: TunerPro and TunerPro RT - Professional Automobile Tuning Software

datamaster (demo only): http://www.ttspowersystems.com/downl...E-Setup-CD.exe

aldl cables:

aldlcables.com: OBD Diagnostics

moates: GM 1985-1995 : Moates.Net
Cocobolo95 said:
Another source of cables OBD Diagnostics

I can no longer recommend red devil river cables. This is because a forum member received a defective cable. Contacted red devil river. He would not respond to member's emails or my emails about the problem.
Steveo said:
i did have that link in my post too. i edited out reddevilriver ....

the www.aldlcables.com cables are perfectly good there's actually no reason to buy anything else
one major thing has changed since this was written... although datamaster still functions, it's no longer being sold or supported by TTS, so it's really not much of an option anymore.

reference: TTS Power Systems

·
Registered
585 Posts
Can I use my Diacom or lt1 edit cable with serial to usb adapter and this software?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can access the PCM to load tunes, you can use the same cable to use the software. I don't have personal experience with LT1-Edit, but acording to their website, it requires the ALDU1 Cable from Moates.com. According to Moates.com the ALDU1 is an ALDL to USB cable. If that cable communicates your LT1-Edit and Diacom with your PCM, it should work with any other program you decide to use.

You can give it a try, it is free for you after all, then let us all know for sure!

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts

eehack's datalogging/display/playback is optimized for lt1-specific tuning and high acquisition rates and includes afr/spark analysis features. it has tuning-related stuff like wideband support. it does a lot more than just reading data.

but! it'ss fairly weak for diagnosis work since i 'purpose-built' it for tuners. it also only supports 94-95 cars and i have no plan to add support for '93 cars. if you aren't using it for tuning at all, it's perhaps not the best tool for the job.

garydoug's scan9495 software is optimized more for code scanning, also does ABS and SIR codes. it gives you more data, including the extended diagnostic error messages which gives good insight into electrical error codes. it also supports '93 cars. it's way nicer to work with for diagnosing problems.

so mine is way better for tuning, scan9495 is better for diagnosis and wrench work

there's also tunerpro's datalogging which is free, but it's not a 'start it up and go' kind of program, and it's not LT1 specific. it's very powerful, though...

here's my feature comparison of dataloggers: Comparsion of $EE Dataloggers – fbodytech

Can I use my Diacom or lt1 edit cable with serial to usb adapter and this software?
it's free, so it doesn't hurt to try, right? if it doesn't work i'd be happy to help hunt down the problem.

·
Global Moderator
12,963 Posts

I can no longer recommend red devil river cables. This is because a forum member received a defective cable. Contacted red devil river. He would not respond to member's emails or my emails about the problem.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts

i did have that link in my post too. i edited out reddevilriver ....

the aldlcables.com cables are perfectly good there's actually no reason to buy anything else

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

it's free, so it doesn't hurt to try, right? if it doesn't work i'd be happy to help hunt down the problem.
Of course! The work you've done has helped me and many others. The least I can do is give you credit! EEHack is a great program. I've used it expecting to have to change my VE tables based on my BLM Trim Cells, every cell was 128/128 except 16, ugh. Any Idea how to get just Cell 16 to 128? I think that one is 124/118, annoying!

I also use your EEX definition file for TunerPro RT! Easiest way to tune the LT1 IMO!:LS1LT1flag:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for the input! With LT1 F-Bodies having an incredible $/performance ratio I see a lot of younger guys buying them up. Hopefully this will help them with their LT1 user experience.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
Any Idea how to get just Cell 16 to 128? I think that one is 124/118, annoying!
to affect fueling in cell 16, easiest to just add/subtract from the entire individual cell fuel trim table, the one that only works at 0% tps. of course that affects cell 17 too but decel enleanment isnt a bad thing either..

it's nearly impossible for everything to actually be at 128 if you have sufficient data. 100% perfect fueling doesn't really happen.

that usually represents a log without enough closed loop driving data to do any good, or something preventing it from exiting cells 16-18, like a broken VSS or ccp enable temperature out of range.

are you using my static analyzer, or simply the memory dump feature?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to affect fueling in cell 16, easiest to just add/subtract from the entire individual cell fuel trim table, the one that only works at 0% tps. of course that affects cell 17 too but decel enleanment isnt a bad thing either..

it's nearly impossible for everything to actually be at 128 if you have sufficient data. 100% perfect fueling doesn't really happen.

that usually represents a log without enough closed loop driving data to do any good, or something preventing it from exiting cells 16-18, like a broken VSS or ccp enable temperature out of range.

are you using my static analyzer, or simply the memory dump feature?
I'll have to pull it up, but it was the BLM Cell Memory table under the extended tab. I had wiped the BLM data, then drove for about 2 weeks and pulled the BLM Cell Memory. I tell you I was completely shocked when I saw 128 across the board. It was more than likely a fluke as I've never seen that before. Does the LTBLM not store between drives? That could've been it.

I guess you're right. If I select only the BLM cells in the idle range it would only effect idle. I'll have to do that. I've got that part of my VE table so low right now it's crazy. It'll go lower.. soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I downloaded the 94-95 scan for my laptop. Will I be able to use a Bluetooth 16 pin obd2 connector to use in the program or does it have to be a USB? My computer is Bluetooth enabled

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Saw some on Amazon for like half the price but I figured I'd buy the one they linked too. Hopefully it works and gets here fast. I'm always skeptical about buying stuff online.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I am not aware of any OBD1 adapter going for less than $55 anywhere. You may have been looking at something else. The cable you ordered is USB and will work fine. I though you may have wanted B/T so I posted that link.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Idk maybe they were the wrong cable? I was mainly asking about the Bluetooth because O'Reillys has a Bosch Bluetooth obd2 plug and I really wanted to go get it so I can use it today. I'm to impatient to wait for stuff in the mail. But thanks for the link. I may get a Bluetooth one to use with my phone so I'll save the link!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Idk maybe they were the wrong cable? I was mainly asking about the Bluetooth because O'Reillys has a Bosch Bluetooth obd2 plug and I really wanted to go get it so I can use it today. I'm to impatient to wait for stuff in the mail. But thanks for the link. I may get a Bluetooth one to use with my phone so I'll save the link!

I'm assuming you have a 1995 or older car. If you do, nothing OBD2 will work. It may fit the plug (1995 vehicles), but it won't communicate anything the computer knows how to read.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm assuming you have a 1995 or older car. If you do, nothing OBD2 will work. It may fit the plug (1995 vehicles), but it won't communicate anything the computer knows how to read.
Well I order the one for the website posted before reading about it I thought I just needed an obd2 plug to USB but I think I saw that it's pinned differently. And yes it's a 95.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I order the one for the website posted before reading about it I thought I just needed an obd2 plug to USB but I think I saw that it's pinned differently. And yes it's a 95.

Yes you need an OBD1 16 Pin ALDL to USB cable with driver.

If you have the OBD2 stuff, keep it for other cars. Anything built after 96-current uses OBD2.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts