LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to order a cam kit and headers this weekend, but honestly dont know what to go with :dontknow: All I know Is I want the most power I can get from a stock LT1 auto 3:43, I want to be very streetable "no cutting off or any of the other problems that come with very large cams, And I dont want to have "ANY" clearance issues with my headers or Off road Y pipe.

I need to know If I sould keep the AIR and EGR? there will be no emmission testing Issues.

Basicaly I want the most power I can get with out the pitfalls of modding my car

Please help!!!! :confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went with the hotcam and longtube headers and when I cranked her the other day for the first time she sounded awesome. Of course I dont have my y-pipe yet so I wont know what she will sound like then. My headers dont stick down any further than anything else under the car.

·
Registered
993 Posts
xe 224/230 :)

Better cam, same streetability.

Longtubes won't cut down ground clearance too bad. But if you absolutely need 100% stock clearance get some shorties.

Make sure you've got full exhaust done before the cam.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris 96 WS6 said:
Yep, the hotcam has more duration split than is really necessary. the 224/230 XE will make more power but act a little smaller.
Thanks Guys! Thats exactly what I am looking for right now. A cam that makes good power but acts like a smaller cam. "for now"

Is there anyone out there that has a Kit? Rockers, springs, cam, ect? Or Is It better to order It all separate?

Also I am not too concerned about ground clearance, Its fitment that that I am really worried about. I have read a lot of threads about headers that bang cross member rub firewalls and stuff like that.

·
Registered
993 Posts
96ss#80 said:
Also I am not too concerned about ground clearance, Its fitment that that I am really worried about. I have read a lot of threads about headers that bang cross member rub firewalls and stuff like that.
In that case, just stay away from Pacesetters. Some people have fitment issues with them. Instead, steer more toward Hooker or Jet Hot longtubes. Also, they're a bit expensive, but I've never seen a Kooks set of longtubes that had any fitment issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vendetta said:
In that case, just stay away from Pacesetters. Some people have fitment issues with them. Instead, steer more toward Hooker or Jet Hot longtubes. Also, they're a bit expensive, but I've never seen a Kooks set of longtubes that had any fitment issues.
whats the big deal with the kooks headers? I thought that Ceramic keeps the heat down wouldnt you loose that If you went with stainless?

Thanks a lot!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
96ss#80 said:
whats the big deal with the kooks headers? I thought that Ceramic keeps the heat down wouldnt you loose that If you went with stainless?

Thanks a lot!!!
Ceramic does keep the heat down, but remember that it's just a coating on a non-stainless product (most of the time). Over the test of time, the stainless headers are going to hold up better and last longer than the ceramic coated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fastbird said:
Ceramic does keep the heat down, but remember that it's just a coating on a non-stainless product (most of the time). Over the test of time, the stainless headers are going to hold up better and last longer than the ceramic coated.
Oh! ok, about how long do the average set of ceramic's last?

·
Registered
253 Posts
The 224/230 cam seems to be putting down good numbers. Or you can get a LE2 kit that comes with heads and a match cam.

·
Registered
83 Posts
comp 07-503-8

That is the part number on their 224/230 cam. I have put it in a number of lt1 383's and it works great. It will also do really well in a 350 and still be very driveable. I would absolutely upgrade your springs. Comp recommends their 26918 for that cam which I would run with stock rockers but if you run roller rockers then I would run a 941-16 (higher open pressure). We have used that spring on a number of circle track hyd roller engines and it doesn't skip a beat at 6800rpm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts