LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please help. i have a 95 LT1 in my 71 vista cruiser. I have a BBK 58mm throttle body. When warm and my car in park. She idles @1500 rpm. I have idle stop screw backed of the throttle stop and doesn"t touch (1/8" clearance) the throttle arm.
My computer has had the anti theft program removed other wise it is stock.
My car uses a Street and Perfomance wiring loom with all stock sensors used.
Can anybody help, mike

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
Stock Cables from F-Body ?? if so there is an adjustment in there as well .. sometimes the cable isnt sitting flush inside the housing holding the cable down causing a high idle , Thats just my first guess being as it happened on mine once and i was flippin checkin things that werent even close to it , wanted to kick myself for such an easy fix .. anyways happy troubleshooting .. Out

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the cable is impala but I'm not sure. It is also from Street an Performance. The cable at idle has some play at the throttle pivot. Also I did not find any type of adjuster.
thanks for your advise, mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you take off the elbow and see if the blades are sitting flush inside the TB?. Could also be a faulty TPS or IAC as well. Have you checked for any codes?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Also check for vacuum leaks, the LT1 intake has some large vacuum ports.

If possible find a place or friend to scan it for you, the tps sensor volts or percentage needs to be checked along with the IAC. My Holley 58mm TB's tps holes where slightly off and I had to slot the holes on the sensor to set the correct tps voltage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I scanned the engine, The only code present said the TPS was to low?
I did check the throttle body butterflies. They were not closing completely and the throttle felt like it was sticking. I removed the butterflies and polished the bores. The butterflies now close all the way and the action is the best it ever has been. But the high idle still exists.
Thank everybody for the help, mike
P.S. what is the IAC

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Idle air control

Check your sensor readings because it sounds like either vacuum or TPS. If it was IAC your car would more often than not just die instead of idle wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't know if your problem has been solved or not yet, but that definitely sounds like what the other guys were saying. If it's not something involving your throttle body, it's your TPS. You said you did a check and it read that it was low. It should have given a reading of it's voltage. Did it? If so, what was it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reader said the voltage was .01 volt. I also slotted the holes on the tps for clockwise and counterclockwise adjustment. Neither helped. I also checked for vaccum leaks around the throttlebody. There seem to be no leaks.
thanks for all the suggestions, mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
The reading should be any where from .50-.67 when that throttle is closed or at idle. It should increase in voltage when opening up the throttle. It should go up to 4.5-5V when all the way open. You can find those TPS sensor all over. Look for a 92-93 s10 blazer 4.3v6. I've used that TPS on a 96 LT1, it's the same one. Check vortech engines in the mid 90's pickup trucks. Honestly though, now that I think of it, if your reading .01, you may just have an electrical problem going to your sensor. Check the wiring to your sensor for any shorts. Usually when a sensor goes out, it will jump to 5 volts or .5. I will show that it's either stuck open or shut. This sounds like your not even getting a connection to the sensor. Time to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I replaced the TPS. Starting cold and just letting it warm up. The cold idle will change with temp. The idle changes from 1500 down to 750. If I just drive the idle will stay at 1500. I can park then stab the throttle after warm and it will drop down to 700-750. But no other time. The voltage scan @1500rpm .78volts.
What the I'm I chasing?
thanks for the help, mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts