LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,

I have not been here for a few years now, not had the time or money but things are getting back to normal now.

Right, I have my 1997 Firebird TA LT1 & I want to upgrade the front brakes. I already use EBC Black Sport Rotors.

I am looking on Summit & I have seen these:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/pwr-s4692/overview/
I am liking the red of this pair.

Or a pair of these:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/agb-frc11141/overview/

Has anyone used either & do they fit straight to the brackets on the car? Do I have to cut anything off?

Thanks so much for any advice as I'm in the UK & there is not too much help here.

All the best.

Nic

·
Global Moderator
12,987 Posts
These look like rebuilt 98-02 f-body front calipers. To make them work, you must have the spindle assemblies from the 98-02 f-body cars. I imagine you will also need the newer flex brake lines, and maybe the newer master cylinder also.

Also don't know if 93-97 tie rod ends will go with the 98-02 spindles.

Good news is 93-02 f- body cars use the same wheel bearing assembly.

·
Registered
861 Posts
From what i hear the power stop aint that great. I was gona go with them but after research decided not to.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Global Moderator
12,987 Posts
The 2nd link calipers are again for 98-02 cars. You will need the same parts I listed for the 1st caliper you listed.

If you really want better brakes, why not try one of the 4 piston caliper front brake upgrade kits available for the f-body 93-97. They come with everything you need.

And while initially expensive, actually won't cost much more than the 2 piston setup after you source and ship all the parts you need to England.

If you lived in US, you could get the spindles on craigslist or at any salvage yard. Buy the rest of the parts at your local auto parts store.

·
Global Moderator
12,987 Posts
Your on the right track now. The strange 4 piston calipers will improve your braking more than going to the stock type 2 piston ones.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your on the right track now. The strange 4 piston calipers will improve your braking more than going to the stock type 2 piston ones.
Yes, I asked Summit & they were quite useless in response. I asked about upgrading to 2 piston plus calipers & they kept pointing me to standard stuff
with very little improvement.

It was you Cocobolo who pointed it out & then hunting further in Summit that finally found them on their site.
But why did they not point me in that direction when I asked them??

Anyway, thanks for that. Do you know of any other makes in that price bracket for 4 piston caliper kits, or is that a great price for what you get?
They look much higher quality than others I've seen.

Cheers

·
Global Moderator
12,987 Posts
Wilwood makes a 4 piston front kit for 4th gens. I believe it was about 100 US dollars less than the Strange kit. At least last time I checked.

I believe the Strange brand is a little higher quality than Wilwood. But the Willwood kit will get you stopped also.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Global Moderator
12,987 Posts
Kit was probably discontinued since last time I looked. After all, the newest lt1 car is now 20 years old.

Might want to check Ebay for the 4th gen kit with 4 pistons. Lots of discontinued products end up there for close out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts