LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the car for about 1 year. I have a 95 Z28 with a different block (about 1K miles on it), rebuilt transmission (about 1K miles and still under warranty), with new...battery, alternator, radiator, starter, walbro 255 fuel pump, dashboard, headliner & 42# injectors
came with car...shorty headers, ported heads, cam, cold air K&N and exhaust. Spent around $10K under the hood.
This car is just about new but it is an lt1. Yes I got it stroked out when I got the block replaced. I just heard there is better potential with an ls1.
Is it realy worth the trouble to just take out the motor and swap it? I have done a bunch of research and some are saying it is an easy swap and some are saying it isn't. I will not be swapping this myself and will pay for someone to do this. Would it just be better to just buy a 98-02 or get it swapped? Thanks for the help.
Oh btw the car get 382 rwhp and 420 lbs torque. Car has the Z06 wheels and tires.

·
Global Moderator
13,566 Posts
If you want an ls1, I would sell the car and buy a newer car that came with the ls1. If you want one of the other ls family of engines, I would buy a ls1 car that engine is missing and put it in that.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
You can almost make the same amount of power with an LT-1 as you can with an LS1. It just depends on what you like more tbh. Sure the LS1 will usually win with all mods equal, but it doesn't make an difference tbh unless you're going for pure drag racing purposes. Both platforms are still killer on the street and are great DD's or toys. Just pick your poison and move on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
I've seen several 383 LT1's not making that power. Some do, but a 383 isn't cheap. You can get mid 400's with a H/C LS1. Granted the torque won't be up there.

Something to consider. While those numbers sound great, the days of being able to run budget tires will be long gone if you want any semblance of traction, as will getting very many miles out of a set of tires since you'll have to run soft compounds.

I agree with Cocobolo. The is easiest route would be to buy a 98+ LS. Better yet, get one already built.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
LT1-LSX swap.... requires Motor, headers, K member, transmission ?, computer, harness, cooling fans, dash work. If you don't DIY your talking big $$$.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts