LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The concept sounds good, but isn't that great. In a fuel cell, there are two different reactions. The first is called the anode reaction, and the formula is H2 ---> 2 H+ + 2 e-. It take H2 molecules (Two atoms of hydrogen stuck together), and turns it into two H+ ions, and 2 electrons. The electrons go through whatever you are powering ( an electric motor) and then it goes into the anode reaction, which is ? O2 + 2 H+ + 2 e- ---> H2O. Here, the electrons attatch back to the two hydrogen ions, oxygen from the atmosphere then combines with the hydrogen and makes water.

It does work, but it wouldn't really make that much power. And, where do you get the hydrogen from? In the atmosphere, there is not much hydrogen. You can use water, and then split it, but that requires power. Where do you get the power from? The power station! Lets say it is a nuclear power station. To get the radioactive stuff, you need to mine it, and the machinary burns fossil fuels in the process! So, I doubt that they will ever come out with hydrogen fuel cell cars, because the fuel would be really expensive, and its not any better for the environment (Not that I really care, because global warming is just a myth). And, for some reason honda is still wasting all of this money on reasearching hydrogen fuel cells.

·
Registered
612 Posts
one way they have talked about, for small quanities, is to use solar panels to do the water splittin. all of the current alt fuel vehicles have major drawbacks. IMO, its going to take a mix of regerative teqniques, lighter vehicles, hybrid diesels, and something that is actually possible to impliment without having to completely replace the current fuel infrastructure

1 - 3 of 3 Posts