LS1LT1 Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
on the cheap to avoid removing the panel, you'd do better to slice the bent parts of the panel out, spot weld in a new hunk of sheet metal as a backing and bondo the hell out of it. the metal is too gimped, it'll never be fillable.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yeah, at most I'll drill holes and slide hammer it. That's if I get bored one weekend and decide to give my self a challenge.

I'm mind set on doing a donor swap.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Man I just found & read your build thread a couple weeks ago so it's definitely sad to see this. Good thing no one was hurt. I'm sure the next one will be just as nice or better.
A quick C3 might be a bit of a sleeper on the street but the 2nd gen F-body LT1/T56 would definitely be cool too. Have you decided on what the next body will be?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Most likely another 4th Gen F-Body. I'm hoping to find a Trans Am roller donor. This is because cost and simplicity of the swap to get the car going again.

I started researching the swaps and the C3 and Gen 2 both will need a lot of parts I don't have like headers, exhaust, etc. And they'll both need better brakes and suspension just to get to where I'm at now.

If I go to another 4th Gen everything just swaps over and it'll likely save me money in the long run with not having to do body/paint work (hopefully no paint work.....). Plus all the extra parts I'll have laying around to sell and offset costs.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Me too, it hurts my eyes to see it so ugly and ricer looking. Ugh.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well, I tried to get a basketball in front of the gas fill. Turns out there's metal there the runs side to side in the car behind the quarter panel. I found a little hole inside the car, so I cut it bigger to fit a wood punch in it and did more pounding. I'll try the basketball trick on the bottom side of the dent next weekend. If that doesn't work then I either need to replace the quarter or the car. In either case, the car is no longer rubbing and I'll be getting some new (used) tires this week so it's good to drive again.

Before

Now

I'll keep working it. I may be able to pull it out.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You stick a deflated inflatable ball behind the dent in the panel and inflate it. The air pressure pops it out from the back side.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Finally got sick enough of my ugly dents to make time to do something about it. Still a work in progress. And it certainly isn't the best way to go about doing this repair. But, IDC it's not going to be worth any more with a proper weld in 1/4 panel repair than this method.

Any who, I went to town with my slide hammer, sledge hammer, crow bar, and small ball peen hammer. I was able to pull the dent out another inch or so. But, the are around the gas cap is not coming out any further so it stays where it is and I'll have to body fill the $#!T out of it. Meh, oh well. It'll look pretty when it's all done.

Also, I found a good deal on some OE Wheels ZR1 Duplicates on Craigslist ($400). The fronts (17x9.5) needed new tires (had 555 Extreme ZR, but I went with BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S) The rears (17x11) came with still good 555 Extreme ZR tires (315/35R17). I then sold my old Z06 Wheels which turned out to be replica's and only 9.5" wide wheels- yes, I should've looked. But, I sold them for what I bought them for ($400) and I made sure the next guy knows they are replica's and all that jazz.

I also did the LS1 brake swap, easy mod and cost me $250 or so (for new rotors and pads,used lower control arms - I needed these anyway- and used spindles, plus new stainless steel brake lines). The brake feel is much softer (so worse), but the stopping power is greatly increased. I can brake stand now, whereas before with the LT1 brakes I would push through the front brakes.

I'm still dealing with Voltage drop (and a seemingly related speedometer delay issue) at over 6K rpms (dash indicated). I found an ASP under driver pulley kit (with belt and both pulleys) on Ebay for $36 shipped. I'll be installing that next weekend. Hopefully the voltage drop goes away with that swap, and maybe my accessories will last longer than a year.....

Next weekend I should be able to work this quarter panel some more. I ordered a gas door for a 00-05 Mitsubshi Eclipse to replace the mangled piece I removed ($17 shipped). There's a simple write up on that here.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Body work isn't easy but that looks much better.
Yeah, it's far from being acceptable work. But, I'll get her there. It's certainly better than it was. I'll keep working the body over every weekend as I have time. A little here, a little there. I figured that'll be my best approach. I'm also supposedly going to a 4/10 schedule at work soon (sweet!), so that should give me more time to do other not work related stuff.

I should be getting some parts in throughout this week, so next weekend I may be able to do more filler work. But, I need that gas door before I can finish shaping the opening for the gas filler. That should be here Friday. I've used about 1/2 gallon of filler, only half of that actually made it on to the panel (between drying before I could lay it -batch was too big-, and sanding it off). It's a ridiculous amount of filler for 1 panel. If that fails, oh well. I'll get me that welder I've been wanting and hit up a junk yard. If the car is ever worth something ridiculous (probably not), I'll do a correct weld in repair anyway. For now this works.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts