LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im rebuilding my lt1 engine. Doing a Cc306 cam, bored .30 over block, mahle forged pistions, comp cam push rods, 1.6 roller rockers, new crank and timing chain, 2800 stall convertor, electric water pump. How much hp am i looking at?

·
Registered
135 Posts
With all that work you should consider ported heads to aid your cam and definitely a bigger stall than a 2800 for the cc306. I've seen cc306 m6 cars make 360+rwhp. But with an auto it will be a little less

·
Registered
514 Posts
Im rebuilding my lt1 engine. Doing a Cc306 cam, bored .30 over block, mahle forged pistions, comp cam push rods, 1.6 roller rockers, new crank and timing chain, 2800 stall convertor, electric water pump. How much hp am i looking at?
With a good set of heads 400+. I agree, you'll need more converter

·
Registered
213 Posts
With stock heads, up to 340 rw SAE. It depends on a lot of factors, one of which is the TC type/brand. Which 2800 TC are you using?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everybody fot yalls feedback. im using tci breakaway stall. and ported heads are definitly next on the list

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
You'd be doing yourself a huge favor if you got rid of the TCI converter. Not only is it not enough stall rpm for the 306 cam, it's an underperforming heat-generating piece of junk. Look for a 9.5" or 10" converter in the 3200-3600 stall range. Good ones based on my own experience are Yank, Edge, Vigilante, Coan. A lot of F-body guys like Circle D also; I have no experience with them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its bought. i talked to my mechanic and he said it will work. imma use it for now, upgrade in the future. Its a small stall but im hoping it will do good.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
its bought. i talked to my mechanic and he said it will work. imma use it for now, upgrade in the future. Its a small stall but im hoping it will do good.
ooh.....kay..
So, back to your original question, since I now have a better understanding of your approach, I'll say 325 hp.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We will see what we can do with it. and 325 is a low number. ive seen just cam only Cc306 motors run 360 hp to the rear wheels. and im completly upgrading everything except heads and intake manifold.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts
We will see what we can do with it. and 325 is a low number. ive seen just cam only Cc306 motors run 360 hp to the rear wheels. and im completly upgrading everything except heads and intake manifold.
And how do you think the power gets transferred from engine to rear wheels? ;)

Like it or not, that torque converter will hurt your numbers, they all do. Automatics are not dyno queens, but the cheaper torque converters will show more slip/power loss than a more expensive unit.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Work, yes.

Work well, not likely.

I would really advise returning it if you can. If you can't, just make sure to get the biggest trans cooler you can find, fit or afford.
To add to that. Find a 4L60e from a GMT800 1500 with a tow package and take the deeper trans pan and filter combo too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't I bought it off of a buddy. Could I use it now and upgrade a ill later when the funds get right? How hard are the to install/remove? What stall do you recommend and what brand?

·
Registered
213 Posts
wow.....some "buddy". Sorry to say you got screwed. That converter goes for less than $400 brand new :(
Sure you can use it; you can use whatever you want. It rates below the stock converter for reliability, and not much performance increase over stock. Just run a separate trans cooler to handle the extra heat. R&R involves dropping the trans.
Probably the best all-round converter for a car like yours for street and track use is the Yank SS3600, but they're in the $750-$800 range.
A good compromise for value/performance would be a 3400 Street Edge: I think they're in the $500-$550 range.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts