LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been sitting in the garage for over 8 years with old fuel in the gas tank. I like to drain and fill it with fresh gas before I start the car after so many years, I tried to siphoned it out but it did not work. I am thinking to disconnect the fuel lines in the engine bay and turn on the fuel pump to collect the old fuel without starting the car. The question is how can I do that. I will appreciate this help very much..

·
Global Moderator
13,464 Posts
Go to www.shbox.com

His site will have a pic of the fuel pump prime connector. You hook battery voltage to the prime connector. Then fuel pump will run for as long as you need it to.

Pic of prime connector is # 35 in component views section.

Now that I've told you how to drain tank using prime connector, let me tell you why I don't recommend draining 8 year old gas using fuel pump.

The gas has most likely left gunk in the tank. This gunk will clog the filter sock at end of pump pickup tube. Also it could damage your fuel pump.

You can either drop the tank and remove sender unit to drain tank. Or you can cut a trap door over the tank sending unit & drain tank that way. Here's a pic of where to cut the trap door.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your help and a very good suggestion. This was not the hard question for you to answer but I have seen you answer very complex and difficult questions with ease before. I am highly impressed with your knowledge and expertise in this area. You are the source of Oxygen for this site. Thanks again

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just drained my 65 GTO gas tank after eight years of not running. I had about ten gallons in it. I bought a "HORUSDY Multi-Use Siphon Fuel Transfer Pump Kit for Gas Oil and Liquids" on Amazon for $10.99 and it worked great. After you start it pumping it will continue to act as a siphon or you can continue to pump by hand and it will remove the gas faster. When the level gets real low you will have to pump it by hand. But it goes pretty fast. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If the gas is that old I would not run it through the fuel pump. Just siphon it out with a hose. I've done it on my 2002 and my 95. Takes a bit to get the hose in the tank but it is doable.

Al in Tucson

1 - 6 of 6 Posts