LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so everything is off (plugs starter alternator etc) and im trying to fit the pacesetter longtubes in but seems like I need to lift higher. im working with a jack and wooden blocks for the extra lift and im currently at 15 inches off the ground. anyone have any idea how high I need to lift to get the headers in comfortably?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anything would really help.

I read some forums that I have to loosen the passenger side motor mount and lift the motor to get that header in. is that true?

·
Registered
265 Posts
On my 95 I installed Pacesetter LT's from the top.

Driver side I had to remove the Steering wheel linkage. Just the connector linkage, not the entire thing lol

Passenger side I removed the Alt, power steering, A/C and the Accessory bracket along with the dip stick and it slid in easily from the top.

And all I had were car ramps..think it raised it a max of 12" if that lol

Your results MAY vary.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you had to take off the power steering and ac too? man I was hoping I wouldn't have to take so many things apart. any experience with putting them in from the bottom on the passenger side?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well to be honest I was doing a lot more than just headers so I had those things off anyways :D

Doesn't take much to remove though. PS comes off with 3 bolts, AC is a tad tricky but I completely removed mine and got rid of it. You can have that assy bracket off in about 20 mins.

and no my experiance is just from the top. I've read though what you have and that sometimes you gotta unbolt the mount and lift the motor. Also in both cases remove the dipstick. Comes out pretty easy

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking at some write ups where it said to lift the car 2 1/2 feet and they will slide under. that's really high for one and then when I look from under the passenger side of the car. the k member doesn't leave much space at all.

right now im stuck on the steering linkage. it has a stud on it so I cant just use a ratchet to unscrew it. I got the 2 nuts off from both sides. currently clueless.

·
Registered
265 Posts
11 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

On the upper right side You can see the steering knuckle. Theres a single bolt in the photo at the top of the knuckle. Just pull that off and you can slide it apart. You'll basically just end up with the U-Joint and 2 short shafts in your hand:

Number 7
http://shbox.com/1/steering_system.jpg

I've also heard of having to "bend" or temp remove the K-member but I didn't have any issues myself. Some people find it easier from the top, others form the bottom. Think it's based on how nice the auto builder's wife was that week :D

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I did my '94 pacesetter right (passenger) side from the bottom. I tried the top but they would not squeeze past the small gap between engine and wheel-well. Pic shows where they were hitting and scratched up the paint trying to wedge them in. I had car up about 15 inches on stands, and then had to (uncomfortably) put my hydraulic floor jack on a couple of 4X6's blocks to lift the passenger side up higher. Seems you have to get the header angled at about 45* and it will slide in. Dip stick was off, starter was unbolted but still connected and it will slide out of the way. There was a small bit of lip metal on the 4l60E casing I had to cut about 1/2 inch to give clearance. Seems these cars are all a little different, left side had no problems with the steering linkage, just needed to trim the plastic linkage cover to clear one primary. Some have unbolted engine mounts to move engine a bit, that may help going in from top.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
as for spark plugs. are they easier to change with longtubes than they are with stock manifolds?

and one more question. the egr valve. I blocked it off. when I goto smog the car I was wondering if I catt the ypipe on the longtubes. can I pass? or even with the stock manifolds. if I don't have an egr is that a fail? last time I smogged no one looked for the egr at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts