LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading I think that the intake is like 52mm but the throttlebody is only 48mm? So I was wondering if it was worth having the throttebody ported. It's fairly inexpensive...looks like under $100 and this would increase airflow which is a good thing right??

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Black Knight, I saw your post on the other board, and Shiznity (Steve Reinhard) does some in-house, exchange OEM for ported/polished $100.00, but he'll need to know the specifics of your mods, so he can port accordingly.

See side bar on EFA forums if interested. However, I had one installed this past summer, but not getting enough air, and creating an idling problem on start up, and he has agreed to modify the TB to my satisfaction (probably due to cold dense air), so I am very pleased. I fear it has affected my WOT A/F, b/c I feel I am now running leaner than before, but I do have more pull in the higher RPM range.

There are many ppl who you can purchase one from (LS1tech.com has threads addressing this many times)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
My buddy chris's 97ss went 9's on stock TB in houston. Unless you plan on a turbo/sc/or nitro i dont see you needing it really.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
1970judge said:
My buddy chris's 97ss went 9's on stock TB in houston. Unless you plan on a turbo/sc/or nitro i dont see you needing it really.

Totally agreed......I have a cam in mind, and with headers+dual 3" cutouts, I believe it'll serve as a reduction in ET's :devil:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Not true.

While the TB itself may not be the real bottle neck in the system (probably the heads, in his case), it doesn't mean that porting it won't help. It'll take some of that little bit of restriction out which lets more air get backed up in the bottle-neck, helping force just a little bit more through.

I doubt you'd pick up much, but it certainly won't hurt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Unless you're running some type sealed ram air setup or forced induction, there will be no air forced through. A larger TB is not going to help a bolt on LT1 car. Won't hurt, but the money would be better used somewhere else.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Keep in mind with an automatic the larger TB will need programming, because the shifts are all governed by throttle position and the larger, better flowing TB mucks all that up.

On a relatively stock car I'd put my cashola into other areas first. Don't worry about a TB until you get some internals (cam, heads) going.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
A ported TB on a stock internal car isn't gonna help a whole lot. But as you start modding more and more the engine is going to need as much air as possible. that's when the ported TB comes in.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
BLACK KNIGHT said:
Well Shiznity doesn't do LT1 throttlebodys. Maybe I'll hold off until I get a cam and heads.

Damn, he's gotten picky then.....I didn't know he only did LS1 TB's :roflmao:

Just trying to be helpful....but don't expect more than 5hp on a stock system, and the points made are very valid. The more the mods, the more the increase. I just decided to allow as much intake/exhaust before I drop in the cam next year, as I want to take full advantage of all the mods. $100 was a hell of a lot cheaper than valvetrain components/tune, so I just took the opportunity to upgrade while I had the chance.

Hell, I have $600 in parts and still no cam yet, so I expect another $400 for the cam, another $400 for the install, and $300 approx for a dyno-tune.
Hope I get that 50+ HP I am lookin' fer' :streetrac :streetrac

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
No, it's done in the car, it's just a pain to replace the springs. That's really the only hard part

...actually, scratch that. You're an LT1. I have no idea :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
About an 6-8 hour job if done properly from what I understand......springs/rods/retainers/new timing chain, changing fluids, etc. and it all adds up to TIME!

LS1tech.com has so much material to review it is ridiculous, and a good source for info! Hell, it took me a long time just to understand the concept of what a cam does how it operates, and the various cams available that produce certain performance characteristics. Never thought Auto Mechanic 101 was so interesting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts