LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how long does it take to flush heater core ? And how much anter freeze do I new to fill back up? And do I just unplugs heater core tubes from water pump and back at heater core ? thanks

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
it doesn't take long, and it's a pretty minor procedure. flush it both ways for like 10 minutes a side, backwards and forwards, until it runs totally clear. it's a half hour job.

you dont need to top up with antifreeze after, you can just top up with water, as you will not lose enough coolant to matter.

i used to do this every second oil change; dexcool makes a hell of a mess in there.

·
Yo!
8,172 Posts
As long as might take u...maybe an hr if u new at it.
Unplug both hoses from the wp. Then with a water hose easily let the water flow till it comes out the other end then vise versa. Then top it off n bleed the lines.
If that doesn't fix it replace ur HC

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
one more thing, i always did it right at the heater fittings at the firewall, but shbox.com reccommends unplugging at the waterpump, so you can flush the hoses out too.

there's a restrictor thingie in those lines, so i found it was a faster job just doing it directly, and unlike the front of the engine where the entire ignition system lives, there's nothing back at the firewall to hurt if you spray water everywhere.

totally up to you

·
Registered
362 Posts
one more thing, i always did it right at the heater fittings at the firewall, but shbox.com reccommends unplugging at the waterpump, so you can flush the hoses out too.

there's a restrictor thingie in those lines, so i found it was a faster job just doing it directly, and unlike the front of the engine where the entire ignition system lives, there's nothing back at the firewall to hurt if you spray water everywhere.

totally up to you
How difficult is it to get to those hoses on the heater core?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
you'll probably bleed the first time you do it.

but everything on an LT1 makes you bleed.

i didn't find it very difficult, just bring needlenose pliers to help with the clamps.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.