LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS it really necessary for the coated?. If i dont get coated i can afford the lt's and the ypipe but if i do get coated i have to wait to buy the y pipe. I want to make a custom exhaust but i cant until i sell my LM and no one seems to want it. So looks like i have to use it for now. I am itching to starting fabbing up my custom exhaust but doesnt looks like thats happnin. So i realize coated keeps heat down but give me good reaosns why i should go with coated?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Coated for looks, but really for heat. From what I've seen, you can run plugs with no boot protectors and no burning with coated headers, not the same for uncoated. Also get Jet-Hot not Hooker, their weld quality is higher and also sterling finish is better than ceramic coating.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Trust me, you can burn a plug even with the coating. Surface temps of coated headers easily go over 500*

Its just worse w/o coating.

What I don't like about SS headers is that stainless gets brittle over time and multiple heat cycles.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Any high temp coating is fine IMO....the ceramic looks nice but its not necessary. Anything that will prevent rust and be somewhat of a temperature barrier.

Eastwood Co. has some good paint on coatings you can even airbrush on that work well and cost a lot less than like Jet Hot.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then settled im just getting the black ones. They look better IMO. Thanks chris.

·
Registered
292 Posts
those black LTs are the ones i got for my car.....got em cheap with the ORY and i havent heard anything bad about them...and u can always just but coating and paint them instead of paying more for ceramic...summit has a pretty good deal on them

·
Registered
329 Posts
Go on jet-hot's web site and you'll see how badly their sterling coating outperforms everything else on the market in durability, obviously looks, heat resistance, anything. Yeah I have them so I'm biased, but you can get them shipped for $500 from ws6store and that isn't much more than uncoated hooker LTs. Jet-hot also sterling coats their ORY inside and out, just like the headers. Is ceramic coating just on the outside of headers?

·
Registered
13 Posts
contraststriker said:
Coated for looks, but really for heat. From what I've seen, you can run plugs with no boot protectors and no burning with coated headers, not the same for uncoated. Also get Jet-Hot not Hooker, their weld quality is higher and also sterling finish is better than ceramic coating.
Not true on the H(.)(.)ers, my welds are holding strong from day one and there three years old, no problem what so ever. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
But how hard is it to put on your own ceramic coat? and where could you find the ceramic?

·
Registered
96 Posts
The black ones won't stay black for long unless you paint them with somethin'.

·
Registered
96 Posts
They turn that wonderful rust color from what I have seen

But then again they may have been something other than Hookers...but I've been told all the non coated ones do the same

1 - 14 of 14 Posts