1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fuel Rating - Octane Comparison - Dyno Tests Graphs - Hot Rod Magazine

Volvo Performance Repairs And Modifications

Most store bought do not works as well as a home mixed booster

Octane Booster Comparison Test: Dyno-tab: World Leader in Automotive Tablet Technology

Octane Boosters Testing - Tech Review - European Car Magazine

Several types of Octanes boosters most are petroleum based solvents.

Xylene and Tolulene are the most common home brews. Acetone is more dangerous in my opinion. MTBE and Isopropyl not as good. The store bought claim contain jet fuel etc. Well most cost excessive and do not raise the octane level 1 point.

Go to a paint or Hardware store and get a gallon of Xylene or Tolulene. Tolulene is my choice TNT stands for triNitroTolulene Dynamite in your tank. Ha Just a solvent to bind the nitroglycyrine to gun cotton in extruded powder manufacture or Saw dust in old fashioned dynamite.

Here we have only 91 Octane no 93 Octane and Aviation gas is very costly with higher lead content fouling plugs etc. Again a nice mix of Tolulene and Marvel Mystery Oil basically Kerosene and Automatic transmission fluid works very well. Choose your poison and find out the mix that works for you.

Homemade octane booster formulas

homemade octane booster - Chevelle Tech

·
Registered
620 Posts
VERY informative, I have always looked at this stuff but never have bought it. Thank you for posting that information.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your PCM is just going to compensate for the change. It's pointless to boost your octane level unless you're running a setup that's high compression, boosted, sprayed, or high rpm and prone to detonate. There are a number of people driving around with CRs above 11:1 running 91 octane E10 no problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
yeah im kinda confused on this one, i was thinking maybe its to save alil money or something but if you do the math it comes out to the same cost ruffly, i think ill just stick with buying preimum gas and call it a day

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've always used marvel mysterie oil in my gas and sometimes in my oil . I know it's no octane booster but it seems to run smooth pared with 93 octane a tank of gas seems to last longer .. Pretty much put that stuff in everything I own .. Guess it helps feels like it does ha

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
LOL. What a scientific experiment! That guy in the video is a real tool. :craz28:
LOL... Exactly what I was thinking. A Mercedes that runs smooth? No way...! It must work great!

These home-brew octane boosters have been around forever. I'm not saying that Xylene and Toluene aren't octane boosters, because they are. But, by the time you buy a $15 gallon of Xylene, it's considerably cheaper to just fill it with premium.

Now, the one thing that I have found that can work is to add acetone to your fuelm not to boost octane, but to increase fuel economy. I have tried this on each of my family's three cars and it worked noticeably on two of them. The theory is that by adding acetone to your fuel at the rate of about 2 oz per 10 gallons, it will lower the surface tension of the fuel, allowing it to vaporize more quickly and thoroughly before combustion and, thus, burn more completely. By getting a more complete burn from the fuel, you get more power from the same amount of fuel...allegedly.

My '97 Chevy pickup (Vortec 383, 4L80E) shows a very slight increase in mileage with acetone: 1-2 mpg increase...maybe... My '99 Dodge Durango (5.9L gas sucking pig...) actually responds the best, consistently showing 2-3 mpg over running it without acetone. My wife's 2002 Chrysler Sebring (2.7L V-6) shows absolutely no change whatsoever with (or without) acetone. I have tried it in my boat, too, but there's no way to monitor fuel consumption on that hog. It does run noticeably smoother at part throttle, though.

As usual...your mileage may vary (literally...).

·
Registered
740 Posts
100LL is usually a bad idea. Even though it says Low Lead, it actually contains more than automobile gas did back in the 60's. The fuel is lighter, designed to burn at higher altitudes at no more than 5,000rpm's. It can cause engines to run hot, crap out o2 sensors, plugs and clog up cat-verters. It will run good on older carby vehicles, or vehicles without hardened valve seals....But I wouldn't put it threw a newer fuel injected car.
It does last for a long time though. I had a tank that lasted for over 5 years, still pretty fresh.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Octane ratings aside, its actually pretty good as a fuel system cleanser. Its similar in chemical content to the prograde stuff from BG.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I used to run Xylene in my TTA. We bought a 55 gallon drum, back when you could do that. Used to mix 1 gallon to 3 gallons of 93 and an ounce of Marvel Mystery Oil. Did that for a couple of years until I went to alky injection.

And it was a great cleaner. Plugs would come out white as can be so it was hard to read. Combustion chamber and valves were very clean. It would also dry your hands out in a second.

Never had a problem with it and it obviously worked. Was always careful not to get it on the paint and tried not to touch it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts