LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my chevelle back on on the road after a rebuild about 2 weeks ago, been running great. I went to get it out the other day and it fired right up, but after about 1-2 mins it starts dieing out and I have to keep revving it to keep it running and it blows black smoke out the back, like its loading up... Once it dies it wont start back up without pumping the gas a lot... but after it sits for 5-10 mins it will fire right back up then do the same thing.

Only thing I notice is that the arm that pushed down on the accelerator pump arm with the spring on it looks like the spring kind of binds up with you open the throttle..

Any suggestions?

Its a Holley 750 dual feed 4150.

Thanks,
Cody

·
Global Moderator
12,966 Posts
I would check and see if the float level is correct. If float level is too high or if needle valve has a piece of trash on it or it's seat, car will run very rich or die out from richness.

Ive see carbs that float level was fine the last time it was cranked and too high or low the next time car was started.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Float adjustment that is messed up can allow to much fuel in the bowl, pushing the float down which will mess with the accelerator pump causing an over flooding and a no fuel condition, which is what your seeing. My opinion if you can afford it, is to get a better carb. Holly's blow.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would check and see if the float level is correct. If float level is too high or if needle valve has a piece of trash on it or it's seat, car will run very rich or die out from richness.

Ive see carbs that float level was fine the last time it was cranked and too high or low the next time car was started.
Seconded:
Occasionally my old camaro would spit back and the float level would unseat. It idled like a pig, dribbling fuel into the manifold. I had stop stop and relieve the pressure and rap the float. All would be well and sweet after that.

HTH
Mitch

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks guys i'll check the floats and let you know if that fixes it.

I would love to get a new carb, but I just dumped a bunch of money into my Camaro.. maybe this winter I can get a new one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts