LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hey and I am glad I found a place that is dedicated to drag racing. I have migrated over from someone posting the link on th Corral. I hope I can contribute.

I live in Southeast Mo. and do a little bracket racing every now and then in Sikeston at the Sikeston Drag Strip. I have a '79 Mercury Capri with a mild 306 that runs 8.20s in the 1/8th.

Well I hope this place takes off a runs.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Welcome to Burnoutbox.com.

Got any pics of your car?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beal I don't make it that far north and west. As far as the car I only race it at the tracks that are about an hour away or so. I do frequent Gateway on occasion to watch. I went a few weeks ago to the World Ford Challenge. And I plan on making the NHRA race this month. Are you going to that race? If you do I'll look you up.

Here is my car.

Wish the hood had been on for this shot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Biff85ta said:
You ever make it up to I57?
No I haven't but I hear that its pretty sweet now. I might have to venture up there this fall.

Johntom, I am in Poplar Bluff about 45 mins from Sikeston. I hope in the next few weeks I am able to do a little more racing. I haven't been to the track in about 2 months.

Here is my "trophy class" racer. Its fun but not very quick and I broke it the last time I went to the track.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Let me know if you decide to head up this way. I am only about ten minutes from the track and it would give me an excuse to head out there.(My car is in many pieces in the garage)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excuse my ignorance but I57 is in Benton right? Been a long time since I ventured up that way. Last time I was up there was for the Street Machine Nats in like '92,'93, and '94. Man that seems like forever ago.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Codeman said:
Excuse my ignorance but I57 is in Benton right? Been a long time since I ventured up that way. Last time I was up there was for the Street Machine Nats in like '92,'93, and '94. Man that seems like forever ago.
Yep I grew up here in Benton and man do I ever miss the Nats.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Codeman..................Poplar Bluff eh?

Ever go to the drag boat races there? When I was dragboat racing I was there every year in the spring. The lake seemed to be about 45 min outside of town. The lake had a weird name.........

Shannon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh yeah been a few times. I was at the very first one. Its about 20 mins north to the lake. Its lake Wappapello by the way. We were up ther last year for while. Didn't go this year it was a couple of weeks ago. Good old Slug Hefner is the local guy that got drag boat racing here. He drives The Dirty Duck.

We have a dirt track now that is going pretty good and in its second season. We have hopes that the owner still has plans to build a drag strip too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it doesn't start running better than it did Sunday I am going to burn the SOB. I have been fighting a top end "miss" forever with this thing. I thought I had it cured the first and only other time to the track this year it ran great. I am rebuilding the fuel pump right now (waiting on parts) to see if it will cure my problem. My God this thing has a very mild 306 in it how hard can it be to get it to run right? LOL I am starting to feel? :eek:wned by this car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well mystery solved. I figured out what I had changed from the last time at the track to this time. I put the wrong number of power valve in the friggin' carb when I cleaned it the other night. I was trying to cure a very fat idle mixture and instead created a lean high RPM mixture.

I guess I don't know as much about Holley carbs as i thought I did. :emb

1 - 18 of 18 Posts