LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving along minding my own business all was good..

go to stop for light and clutch pedal goes all the way to the floor...
hmm pump it a few times and it wont move at all now very stiff...cant even push the pedal down enough to start the car...

not being a mechanical person per sey can anyone help me diagnose my problem...this is my daily driver so its a crappy situation...

can it be my resivior is low and just needs fluid..hahaha probably not that simple for me
anyway im not sure whats wrong but need to find out fast can anyone help

·
Registered
900 Posts
Just a thought as this was my situation a couple months ago...
I was driving down the street minding MY own business. When i went to press the clutch in to stop for traffic, i heard a pop and the pedal went to the floor. I pumped it again and it was stiff. Pumped it again blew the hydraulic line.
What had happened, in my case and maybe yours, when i pumped the pedal the first time, the lip of the release bearing completely broke off taking the fork off of the bearing. When this happened the slave cylinder bottomed out and stiffened up, because it's self adjusting. Then on the next pump, while the slave was bottomed out, the pressure had nowhere to go but out of the hydraulic line. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read what you said but dont know what it means! what did you have to replace or how did you fix what did it take to fix?

·
Registered
900 Posts
The part that had to be replaced was the clutch release bearing. There is a lip on the top of the bearing that holds the clutch fork on to pull the clutch out. I ended up just buying a whole new clutch kit that included the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing and release bearing. I also had to get a new hydraulic line from Nook and Tranny LLC Home Page. What part of the country are you in? Near Boston?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The part that had to be replaced was the clutch release bearing. There is a lip on the top of the bearing that holds the clutch fork on to pull the clutch out. I ended up just buying a whole new clutch kit that included the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing and release bearing. I also had to get a new hydraulic line from Nook and Tranny LLC Home Page. What part of the country are you in? Near Boston?
Im in california (modesto). I wish I was near someone that could help me. I dont know how to do it and cant afford the shop. Dont know what Im gonna do!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess what I have to get done is get the transmission off, so I can see what is the matter. ( not that i will know unless its pretty obvious) all that stuff in there is new except for the hydrolics and fork. Only about 6000 miles...I think I know the part you speak of is it also called throw out bearing?...if so I noticed the one that went on there was a little different..the original was round (lt1)..the new one on there now is squared...I think its a lt4 throw out bearing and I have a lt4 pressure plate as well

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yes it is also called the throwout bearing. The easiest way to check to see if the fork has slipped off of it is to remove the slave cylinder and see how much play is in the fork. If it has slipped off there will be a lot of play in the fork back and forth. The slave cylinder is really easy to remove. it is mounted on the bell housing with 2 nuts.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If you need help removing the transmission, i can walk you through that too. I just became an expert on LT1 T56 removal and installation lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it is also called the throwout bearing. The easiest way to check to see if the fork has slipped off of it is to remove the slave cylinder and see how much play is in the fork. If it has slipped off there will be a lot of play in the fork back and forth. The slave cylinder is really easy to remove. it is mounted on the bell housing with 2 nuts.
Is this on the inside or the outside of the bell housing...can i get under the car and see it or do I have to remove some stuff first...

LOL I need a little more explanation to connect the dots...I can do it if it is explained well enough to me (I think)

Let me ask this..is there a way to fix it without taking off transmission? I ask this because I dont know how much play the fork should have I have seen it and seen how it works when they fixed it but Im not sure i would know if it off or on by removing the slave....and if i have to get it removed to fix
The only thing i know is aI really need to get this fixed...I use my car to work so as Long as it is down Im not working

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The clutch system: starts at the clutch pedal, then little round white reservoir next to master cylinder ( mounted to a bracket where your hood hinge is) then there is a stainless braided flexible hydraulic line that runs down to the back of the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is mph ted on the outside of the tranny with two nuts. It has a rod and when acted upon by hydraulic pressure ( compression of your clutch pedal ) the rod extends and pushes on the clutch fork which pulls on the throwout bearing. This engages and disengages the clutch. If you take off the slave cylinder and with a flashlight and your finger you can visually see the clutch and feel it. If it has later movement (sideways) and it is very sloppy then yes your throwout bearing is PROBABLY bad. The fork installs unto the throwout bearing latterly with spring tension. It may be that it just slipped off. Use your flashlight and inspect the throwout bearing and fork. Throwout bearings do not cost much and you should be able to have this in and out in one day. Unless of course you don't have tools.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The clutch system: starts at the clutch pedal, then little round white reservoir next to master cylinder ( mounted to a bracket where your hood hinge is) then there is a stainless braided flexible hydraulic line that runs down to the back of the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is mph ted on the outside of the tranny with two nuts. It has a rod and when acted upon by hydraulic pressure ( compression of your clutch pedal ) the rod extends and pushes on the clutch fork which pulls on the throwout bearing. This engages and disengages the clutch. If you take off the slave cylinder and with a flashlight and your finger you can visually see the clutch and feel it. If it has later movement (sideways) and it is very sloppy then yes your throwout bearing is PROBABLY bad. The fork installs unto the throwout bearing latterly with spring tension. It may be that it just slipped off. Use your flashlight and inspect the throwout bearing and fork. Throwout bearings do not cost much and you should be able to have this in and out in one day. Unless of course you don't have tools.

Well Sorry for the delay...after speaking to a few more people I determined it was not the slave or master. what happened was the fork broke in half so I had to have them replace the fork didnt need a slave or a master and they are still the originals!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts