LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago after getting a new cat installed, my car overheated on the way home from the muffler shop. Since then I have replace the water pump and the intake gasket. I am still overheating, the system has been bled and pressure tested. The coolant leak was coming from the intake gasket, had it replaced, and it's still overheating. Then I thought it could be the water pump, so I just replaced that and It's still overheating. Car runs perfectly, no stuttering or anything temp just gets too hot and i have to shut it down and let it cool off.

·
Less than 8 cylinder Moderator
4,979 Posts
Could be one of the coolant bypass elbows leaking. Notorious problem. Are the fans coming on and how hot is it getting up to?

·
Registered
17 Posts
It Could be a few things. IF your fans are not turning on could be a bad relay or coolant temp sensor. Improper coolant mixture. Fan motor or clogged passage in the system. Make sure those fans are turning on.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Does it over heat within 5-10 minutes. If so (Thermo stat.)
At idle if its over heating, but staying cool while driving ( water pump, 0r fans not comming on)
If ur driving it and its throwing all the antifreeze into the resevoir but not pulling it back into the radiator ( radiator cap)
Change your oil, if u change it and it looks milky ( headgasket.)
When the car is cold, take the rad cap off and crank it. Watch for alot of white sweet smelling exhaust coming outhe tail pipe and also for bubbles in the radiator itself. If this is happening probably ( headgasket )
Make sure none of your fuses are blown as well. Make aure your cat isnt clogged even tho new ya never know.
Let us know whats up.

·
Registered
620 Posts
It could have over heated and the heads are worpped as well. Also check for leaks beside the exhaust manifolds. Those strangely are weird.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts