LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 lt1 camaro A4
New: plugs, cap/rotor (original mitsu sensor)., Battery, ICM.

I did a fuel pressure test (autozone kit) and got maybe (0-5psi). I took it off and reinstalled it several times to make sure it was on right. Everytime I took it off fuel comes out. (Normal?) Then while having the fuel pressure test gauge on I removed the vacuum line from the regulator.. (I just wanted to make sure the line wasn't broken.) And plugged it back in. Then I got in my car and decided I'll see what happens if I tried to turn it on to see if maybe the pressure would change and for whatever reason my car started instantly and perfect, then shut off just as fast.????

Did some of the fuel vapors get inside the vacuum line? Causing it to start? Also fuel pressure stayed the same (0-5psi).

I clearly hear my fuel pump coming on, I haven't tested for spark but being that the car started instantly I am sure I have spark, and air.

So did I narrow this down to not getting fuel at the injectors?

Is there anyway to test the fuel pressure regulator?

Some history about the car: been sitting since 2014 when I lost 3/4th gear. However I always started it every month and even drove it around my neighborhood from time to time. Finally in January 2021 after not starting it for 3months or so (I got lazy)The car won't start anymore. Now I'm trying to get it back and running.

·
Global Moderator
13,611 Posts
First thing I would do is to get the old gas out of the tank. Disconnect the fuel filter. Then put a hose over the line going to filter. Have a 5 gallon gas can to run hose into. Use the fuel pump prime wire to hook battery power direct to pump. Pump will run and drain gas from tank.

If pump is good and fuel filter was clogged, you should get a good stream of fuel running into tank. Drain all gas from tank, but be sure to remove prime wire from power when tank is empty. You don't want to burn pump up. Next pour a gallon of new gas into tank. Run pump again to help clean junk out of tank.

Install a new fuel filter, add 3 gallons of new gas then check your fuel pressure after key on prime. Is it around 43 psi now? Let me know, we'll go from there. Pic of prime connector is on shoebox site. www.shbox.com
It will be # 35 in component view section.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First thing I would do is to get the old gas out of the tank. Disconnect the fuel filter. Then put a hose over the line going to filter. Have a 5 gallon gas can to run hose into. Use the fuel pump prime wire to hook battery power direct to pump. Pump will run and drain gas from tank.

If pump is good and fuel filter was clogged, you should get a good stream of fuel running into tank. Drain all gas from tank, but be sure to remove prime wire from power when tank is empty. You don't want to burn pump up. Next pour a gallon of new gas into tank. Run pump again to help clean junk out of tank.

Install a new fuel filter, add 3 gallons of new gas then check your fuel pressure after key on prime. Is it around 43 psi now? Let me know, we'll go from there. Pic of prime connector is on shoebox site. www.shbox.com
It will be # 35 in component view section.
Alright I tried this and we'll.. kinda embarrassed. But turns out I had no gas in the tank 😅. But also my fuel filter had alot of dirt or something like it inside off it from what I could see and looked in bad condition.

I did try the pump trick (pretty neat). And no fuel came out of the line but I could hear the pump kicking on. Then I replaced the filter and put about 4gal of 93 in it. And it started up, took a while for it to start I did prime it several times. But eventually it kicked on and ran. Afterwards I let it get up to temp.

Then I washed it and well now the car won't start. It won't even crank as soon as I turn the key it clicks and power is completely gone. It won't even make a sound wen I put the key in. 🤔 As if the battery is dead. (New battery).

guessing water got in somewhere???

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems power returns after about 20min. Then when I put the key in the key chime comes on.

·
Global Moderator
13,611 Posts
Here are some of the things to check that can make car electrical system completely dead. First check that battery + & - terminals are clean & attached tightly. Then check battery - wire where it connects to engine. Again make sure connection is clean & tight.

Next go to the red junction box on passenger side inner fender. Again, make sure all wires are clean and connected tightly.

If nothing out of order here, Next check would be under the dash. The electrical part of ignition switch is attached to steering column, under the dash. Here look for signs of burnt & melted wires. Also the part itself can have signs of burning & melting.

If these checks produce no positive results, go to the following link and download the 96 factory service manual. It will have full wiring diagrams. These include trouble shooting help, power wires & where they go, & ground wires.
www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

The service manual will be needed for further troubleshooting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Btw..thank you so much. Ima noobie but I don't mind tinkering. So I appreciate the patience. I'm trying hard to get this car back on the road. My goal is to just have a reliable 97LT1 camaro.

When I was driving it, I would always wonder if I would get stranded somewhere.

I'll get started on the wiring issue. Tho i have not been able to reproduce it since this morning.

The battery cables I have are from innovative wiring. (Probably the highest quality battery cables I've ever seen.)

Btw is there a guide on general maintenance? Like should I replace all my fuses? My car is like 98% original. (150k).

·
Global Moderator
13,611 Posts
If you'll download the 96 service manual, at the link I provided, it will have a chart of all the preventive maintenance , and how to do any jobs you don't know how to do.

96 service manual will cover 99% of your 97's needs. Also go to the showbox site. It has how to do's on many lt1 jobs.
www.shbox.com

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. My problem was I didn't have gas 🤣. My second electrical problem I seem to fix by putting a drying towel in the corner where the pcm is and I have not had any problems after washing my car. Not the best looking solution but it works. Also kinda handy since now I always have a towel I can use to check fluids.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had a grumpy teacher who said don't do it. At least not a pressure wash, that there is enough psi to push water into circuits and cause electrical problems that no one can find. Engines get hot and will dry up water but sometimes it will just steam Up water and never quite dry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts