LS1LT1 Forum banner

Help! Need advice on Oil Pan Replacement

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  97z28convt 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, first post here!

I have a 1995 Firebird Trans Am I picked up late last year and I am going through the mechanicals in preparation for the summer. It has a wicked oil leak that leaks a sizeable amount overnight and also leaks on the exhaust when driving, thus making for an unpleasant experience.

In looking underneath the car had took a pretty good hit to the front cross member, it had also dented and mangled the oil pan. I did not do this damage I should note. The pan was leaking pretty bad and was very crispy/rusty, so it needed replacement. I have the parts and dropped it off at a reputable garage for repair. In knowing it was not a small job I budgeted for this repair all winter.

Soooo, in hearing from the garage guy today, he said the cross member is pushed up into the oil pan and that the camber adjustment is maxed out from the hit stated above. He is afraid that if he replaces the pan there will be no space between the new pan and the dented crossmember. Can anyone comment on the effort to replace this dented cross member? Any other options or suggestions? Any input would be appreciated! Thank you!

#5 ·
a seasoned tech should be able to do it in a day. do you have the means and know-how to do it yourself? labor is expensive these days!

#7 · (Edited)
if i were you ide just drain my oil and if possible JB weld your oil pan and tighten the bolts for the time being. and heres why....

if your gonna replace your k member as you should.. that could get very expensive... as you dont know what all your going to get into as the job progresses.. your steering rack/ bake lines, lower controll arms, alignment etc, are all connected to the rack... depending on how complete of a rack you get you may be replacing much of these parts.. and the LCA bolts love to sieze in the rack.... if your not doing this yourself and want to do it right.. you could definately hit the $1-1500 mark, of course if you dont plan on keeping the car, just do the k member and eff the rest of it, if possible.

just trying to give you an idea of what you might be getting into..

of course if you do it yourself... i bet your around the 3-500 mark depending what all is bad.. dont forget about an alignment , and maybe new front struts too, cuz why not, they are already out...

ide guess a rack would be flat rated around 4-5 hrs.. but that could explode with the above.

car-part.com is a good source for scrapyard parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.