LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone i have a 94 z28 m6 i bought in march for cheap, ive been trying to get it running cooler and better.

for upgrades it has long tube headers(not sure what kind,leak a lil bit) and seems the cat isnt there, just y pipe and 2 3/4 exhaust. no lights on dash.i recently changed the following to get the car running better...

air filter
fpr
spark plugs
spark plug wires
thermastat-180
optispark
water pump-i bled the system multiple times

car runs a lot better, but runs hot still and i cant figure out whats going on.runs around 235 and will hang out there for a while until the fan kicks on, then drops around 215 and back up. why does it hang out around 235? idk why the fan takes so long to kick on while it sits at 235, and the fan shuts off around 215 and the temp rises.

so far i know i can "jump"cooling fan relay# 1 and #2 with a wire on the two terminals to kick the fans on, one high speed and the other low. fan is working. idk if the fans are suppost to kick on when you "jump" the #3 cooling fan relay.....didnt for me

any suggestions of what could be going on?

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
Did you use the bleeder screws to bleed air out of cooling system. shbox.com has a pic of their location.

Fans are programed from factory to come on at 226 and 236 degrees. This temp is provided by temp sender in water pump. Put your car on a scanner that does real time sensor data and see if gauge temp and scanner temp agree.

You have several choices for getting fans to kick on at a lower temp. You can program the fan turn on temp to a lower setting in the pcm. I have mine set at 195 and 205 degrees.

Or you can wire in a manual fan switch. Shoebox's site has wiring diagram for that. Good thing about the fan switch is that you can turn them on when you like. But if you don't turn them on, the pcm will still kick them on at the set temp.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey everybody I know this is the old post but I just wanted to clear the dust outta the air. I found and fixed the issue, had nothing to do with the cooling fan

after countless hours of troubleshooting this damn thing it boiled down to something very simple.the owner be for me tried to bypass the throttle body and must have done it incorrectly.

for those that are familiar with this setup you delete the incoming and outgoing lines on the throttle body and connect them to the steam pipe. the knucklehead that owned the car only capped off the exit off the throttle body thus leaving the coolant nowhere to go and poor circulation

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just simply bypassed it the correct way and it immediately solved all my issues cars running at normal temperature now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts