LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 93 transam LT1 when I got it It was throwing a code for opti pulse 4X And map sensor I figured between those 2 replacing them would get rid of the skip, I can tell power is wayy down as well
Car has new opti, map, head gaskets, water pump, timing chain. Plugs an wires.. I went over all wiring connections everything looks good.155k
Now I'm wondering if the guy who done the heads adjusted valves correctly 馃 would that cause a skip if there not fully closing? I'm lost, only code I have now is 26 an I figured that's due to airpump delete. Car is in immaculate condition I really wanna get her running right. I can stand behind it an smell it's running rich. Maybe someone else had is issue like this...Any advice greatly appreciated 馃檹

Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum.

When opti was replaced, if new opti wasn't a GM, Delco, or Delphi, it's junk. While your not getting an opti code, the optical section could still be messed up. An oscilloscope is the only tool that show the low & high resolution square wave pulse of opti.

You can buy a PC based oscilloscope for around $70 on Ebay, Amazon, etc. Every LT1 owner should have one.

Also having an OBD 1 scanner that will show running sensor data would be a real plus. Seeing the data stream while engine is running , can be a big help in finding trouble.

Also, go to the following site and download the 93 firebird factory service manual. It can help you also.
www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

When opti was replaced, if new opti wasn't a GM, Delco, or Delphi, it's junk. While your not getting an opti code, the optical section could still be messed up. An oscilloscope is the only tool that show the low & high resolution square wave pulse of opti.

You can buy a PC based oscilloscope for around $70 on Ebay, Amazon, etc. Every LT1 owner should have one.

Also having an OBD 1 scanner that will show running sensor data would be a real plus. Seeing the data stream while engine is running , can be a big help in finding trouble.

Also, go to the following site and download the 93 firebird factory service manual. It can help you also.
www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti
Being in car audio I do have a I scope. It is a oem Delco unit, also I just replaced map sensor last week and it's throwing a code for map sensor again 馃う鈥嶁檪锔(code 34) more I read I see it could be a ground issue ? Also I figured since I have r12 sitting around I was gonna charge the ac. I jumped the pressue switch an bam, engine died (odd, I do it all the time) car ran like $hit, wouldn't idle or anything. Unhooked battery 1 min an fixed that issue. What happened there lol it triggered code 66. Previous owner did head gaskets as well. I'm also wondering could valves be out of adjustment 馃
I have been looking for a good obd1 scanner that shows live data. Any recommendations on a good price friendly one?
If I can't figure this thing out over the weekend I'm leaning to a ls swap lol. I love these cars an just wanna be able to drive an enjoy it.
Also, thank you for your reply

Global Moderator
Best obd 1 scanner is a PC based scan program called "scan9495" It was written by our member GaryDoug for 4th gen f-body users. It scans for codes and does running sensor data scans. And will log data to a file so you can view it later. Did I mention, scan9495 is free.

The program is free at the following link. Get the newest version in the LT1 v8 folder. www.mediafire.com/?0elo4c935uc5s

To use the program you will need microsoft dot net framework v4.0 or newer. It's in a folder on same site as scan9495. And it works on 93 cars also.

You will need an OBD 1 12 pin GM aldl to usb cable. You can get one at www.obd2allinone.com/aldl.asp

GaryDoug is a member here, but if you need help with program it's easier to get hold of him at www.firebirdnation.com

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome thank you so much. I'm gonna get all that an see what I find. I will post a follow up once I have it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I downloaded scan 94 95
With the 12 pin usb cable hooked to my laptop everything will work or do I need software? Also the 93 trans am is a 12 pin correct?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts