LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Who makes the best new casting or who ports the best stock castings?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
The absolute best head in terms of flow numbers would be an AFR LT4 casting.

As for the best ported stock LT1 head i would have to say my friend Daryl at RPM is as good with the stock head as anybody else out there, and is better priced than most. His flowbench numbers are very conservative, so if you shop just based on peak numbers you might not be that impressed, but peak flow is not gospel with regard to cylinder heads.

Peak flow is like peak dyno HP......all the pretty numbers are worthless if the car doesn't run the ETs

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
The absolute best head in terms of flow numbers would be an AFR LT4 casting.

As for the best ported stock LT1 head i would have to say my friend Daryl at RPM is as good with the stock head as anybody else out there, and is better priced than most. His flowbench numbers are very conservative, so if you shop just based on peak numbers you might not be that impressed, but peak flow is not gospel with regard to cylinder heads.

Peak flow is like peak dyno HP......all the pretty numbers are worthless if the car doesn't run the ETs
That pretty much sums it up. Area under the curve is a huge thing in power outputs and getting a car down the track. Darryl knows his stuff as he has a pretty good background behind him w/ his degree and then becoming a teacher at SAM IIRC...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im pretty deep in lt1 tech but one thing i never got is what makes ls1 heads so superior to ours? Amd why do ours flow like crap?

·
Registered
330 Posts
1970judge said:
Im pretty deep in lt1 tech but one thing i never got is what makes ls1 heads so superior to ours? Amd why do ours flow like crap?
IIRC, the main thing that makes LS1 heads superior to LT1 heads besides the increased volume is the 18* (I think that's what it is) design vs. the LT1's traditional SBC 23* setup.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It just feels like i can get a set of fully ground lt4 AFR's and still not put out like the patriot ls6 heads i had on my long block for my old setup.

·
Registered
656 Posts
1970judge said:
I'm no head expert and know nothing about an LS1 but I believe I read that it's the cathedral shaped intake port plus the 18*. The port shape was happened upon by accident.

·
Registered
330 Posts
1970judge said:
It just feels like i can get a set of fully ground lt4 AFR's and still not put out like the patriot ls6 heads i had on my long block for my old setup.
I bet a set of AFR 215RR's would get you there, but it's gonna cost ya!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the Kudos. The AFR heads are about the best out of the box LT heads out there. That being said the Trick flow heads are not far behind and are several hundred $ less. For what it's worth, on my bench the trick flows out of the box are flowing [email protected] and [email protected] With a bowl blend they are flowing 244 and 265 respectively which is right where the AFR heads are. On the ex they are flowing 170 @.450 and 182 @ .550 out of the box and 182 and 193 after minor work. On the ex I don't flow with a pipe. The AFR numbers you see printed are with a pipe (185 and 192 respectively) that inflates the numbers a little. The AFR numbers flow within 2-4 cfm on my bench to what they print in their catalog on the intake and are about 5-6 cfm down on the exhaust due to the pipe deal. ( no I don't mean me smoking a pipe)

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Good info Daryl. I know my TFS 23* Gen 1 SBC heads flowed right on what they flowed, and w/ minor blending, and cleaning up the flash they flowed about 10-12 up at peak on intake and came up similarly on the exhaust side. IIRC I picked up about 5-9% at any one point you picked just by cleaning up flash. Mine actually flowed better than a similarly ported AFR head just w/ the cleaning I did. Not bad for a first time.

To the LS1 head discussion. Part of the genius of the LS1 head is that from the factory they have ~200-205cc intake port factory, more than most aftermarket Gen1 or Gen2 head, and they still keep up velocity and part throttle drivability, along w/ area under the curve b/c of those cathedral ports. And yes it was stumbled upon b/c of figuring out where the pushrod holes would go due to the equidistant ports. For a factory head to flow in the 250 cfm area on the intake side from the factory is killer. That port is insanely efficient. And for some reason I think the angle is less than 18*. For some reason 12 or 15* stands out in my mind. But being the lower angle, it sure doesn't hurt thier performance.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well for the dough is it worth getting lt4 heads and intake and porting those or will lt1's do the trick. What flows can i expect out of fully ground stockers?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
LT4's ported will outflow LT1's ported, but it will cost you more for the castings. It depends on what power level you're looking for.

So why don't you talk to us about your goals with the car and maybe we can back into a combination.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah thats the thing really..i havent decided on my combo. It seems like i decide on one and end up changing it in favor of something else. If i decide to keep this car a complete build up of my own of a 396 is a definate. Just not sure as of yet what i plan to do. But my initial plan is to completely redo the car top to bottom. No stone unturned sort of say. So i have a long ways to go and alot of money. I dont plan for this car to be a track queen by any means either. I dont care about driveability but at the same time will probobly hit the local shows and take it out on a friday night to toast the town. So the topic of my buildsheet so far is one badass lt1 camaro all motor car. Im most lookign for some nasty numbers from an all motor car. Havent got too much into my setup as of yet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
if you are building a stroker, then go with LT4 or larger heads. Fully ported LT1 castings will really limit your RPM range.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My plans are a 396 lt4 with the AFR race castings. I was just posting the thread to see wtf cant we equal ls1 heads.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
cause LS1>LT1...

:D

Nah, it's just a technology difference... Same reason why LS2>LS1 (well, that and the extra cubes...)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts