LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, was hoping someone has an answer for this problem. I have a 98 Firebird and the driver side light is not going up, I have to turn the light switch on then pull the light out of the locked position until I hear a clunk sound, then place something underneath so it doesn't lock again and turn the lights off then on again for it to go up. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Also the same light is making a horrible loud grinding noise for several seconds when I close it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
headlight motor gear is stripped. very common problem. you can buy a rebuild kit with an aluminum gear for about $45. the oem gear is plastic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I mean I know the grinding sound comes from the gear but I'm a little more confused on why the headlight has stopping coming up unless pulled on.

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
The headlight motor assembly is actually comprised of 2 parts. (1) the motor itself and (2) the gear box assembly where the worn out gear resides.

The 2 parts are joined to each other by metal tabs that fold over to hold both parts together. Many times the metal tabs loosen up and this is what helps gear to wear out. If motor and gearbox are getting much movement during headlight opperation, it might be cause of you having to pull on light. bfranker's site has full explanation on subject and how to fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts