LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was up guys? it getting close to me doing my headgasket (22nd) and im ashamed to say im a little nervous haha. Iv done a headgasket once on my turbo laser and it didnt run right after wond up trading it off (another story) but im just wondering if anyone has some tips or tricks on the difficult parts, and what the difficult parts will be? is there anything i should take care of while i am in there?

This is a website im using to help walk me through it
Heads and Cam Install Guide for a 1994 LT-1

and i will be visiting shbox frequently haha

you guys think i should take some pics?

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts
Take pics of things you are iffy on how they came off.

Make sure you have a ton of ziplock bags and a sharpie to label them to organize all your bolts.

Be sure to drain the block of as much coolant as you can, there is a plug on the driver side, or pull the knock sensor on the passenger side.

Be careful with the steam line bolts on the back of the heads, they are VERY easy to strip or install cross threaded.

Take the opurtunity to clean as much as you can while you are there, you will thank yourself after its back together and running.

Don't put the wrong side head on the wrong side ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't put the wrong side head on the wrong side ;)
i didnt even think of that lol and can you take the heads off at the same time without unbolting the steam line?

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my friend has a camaro and an extra lt1 motor if i bend it i could prolly jus buy his but is there anything else or is it pretty simple, strait forward? im gonna get new ARP bolts next week, is there a part number on jegs or another website that i can get the all the proper bolts ill need?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Obviously, remove the cooling fans for extra room to work with.

Getting the exhaust manifolds off was a bitch. Make sure you remove the exhaust Y pipe before hand. The exhaust manifolds were such a bitch that I bought some second hand edelbrock shorties to replace them.

There are two steam bolts (one on each head, on the rear side) that need to be removed. Make sure you buy new gasket-washers for each, I had to get them from a dealership.

Make sure when you remove your water pump that you have a rag or some other thing on top of the optispark so it doesnt get covered in water/coolant.

If you have the extra funds I would recommend replacing your optispark (if it needs it) or buy the MSD cover and rotor for it, new waterpump (hell you are there already) and replace all old vacuum tubing.

And make damn sure you label all electrical connectors and hoses and take pictures. You cannot over label.

Keep in mind you will have to adjust your rocker arms during re-assembly. Do some research on that. I did mine but it wasnt perfect so I had to take it to a trusted shop next to me that fine tuned them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting the exhaust manifolds off was a bitch. Make sure you remove the exhaust Y pipe before hand. The exhaust manifolds were such a bitch that I bought some second hand edelbrock shorties to replace them.
i already have edelbrock headers haha

There are two steam bolts (one on each head, on the rear side) that need to be removed. Make sure you buy new gasket-washers for each, I had to get them from a dealership.
is there a part number or something i can call them so i dont look like an idiot trying to explain them to the dealer? or do they come in the felpro head gasket kit?

If you have the extra funds I would recommend replacing your optispark (if it needs it) or buy the MSD cover and rotor for it, new waterpump (hell you are there already) and replace all old vacuum tubing.
Already got an msd cap an rotor and bought an oem dist. to go under it

Keep in mind you will have to adjust your rocker arms during re-assembly. Do some research on that. I did mine but it wasnt perfect so I had to take it to a trusted shop next to me that fine tuned them.
thats another scary part, i might have someone more valve train inclined to come help me, i might be buying lifters and springs (if i dont already have roller lifters. there are a set of unused Lunati springs (looks like 2 springs together) for sale on craigslist, would those be ok? if theyre new?

Thanks for the detailed reply bro :cheers:

·
Registered
45 Posts
(keep in mind I'm still newish to push rod engines)

From what I understand if you replace the rockers you should/need to replace the push rods because they break in together. Someone more experienced will probably clarify that.

If you do not do any changes to your valve train make sure you place the push rods and rockers somewhere safe so they do not get disturbed. You'll also need a way to label which ones go where. For example I laid mine out on some newspaper.
^ = rocker --- = pushrod

7 ^ --- cam --- ^ 8
5 ^ --- cam --- ^ 6
3 ^ --- cam --- ^ 4
1 ^ --- cam --- ^ 2

Hopefully that makes some sense lol

As for the steam pipe seal: http://shbox.com/1/steam_pipe_seal.jpg
From shoebox's own website. Just doing a quick yahoo search I found this: Corvette Coolant Steam Vent Tube Seal, LT1, 1992-1996 but it seems quite overpriced.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts
While it may be true, I have never replaced pushrods due to a rocker change or adjustment. Never bothered to keep em matched to lifter/rocker either.

I would not bother replacing lifters and pushrods strictly due to changing rockers, however, since you have the heads off and are gonna be messing with the valvetrain, if the engine has high miles on it, a set of stock replacement lifters would be a safe upgrade. Reuse the stock pushrods though.

Roll each pushrod on a piece of glass to check for them being bent and if they check out ok, def use em.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was considering changing lifters, rockers, pushrods and springs. cause i dont even know for sure if i have roller lifters, but my car only has 113k on it and im for sure the motor has less

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
do ls parts work on lt? idk if ill do those right now anyways, upgrades will have to be in the future cause now im just tryng to get it back on the road, i wound up spending my play money on a tranny rebuild for my dads car :( but i will deff be droping some $ into it asap lol but i already got half the stuff on my list.

Is there a good website for ARP bolts????? the only kit i found on jegs has too many bolts for all the accesserys, and are 2-300

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
are those? for lt1 tho? i didnt see anything saying they fit lt1?

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol sounds right i just knew they changed so many things in our motors i didnt know if they changed the number of bolts or style or what but thanks, i hope i do everything right.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts