LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My head gasket blew in the cylinder closest to firewall drivers side, can anyone give me any info about what it looks like hot spots to the right in the pic or anything they can see in the pic....is that possibly a crack in the cylinder wall..it is a little ruff, also there is some grey film stuck on the wall a little bit..do i use steel wool or a scotchbrite pad to clean film off the cylinder wall...any help will be greatly appreciated...this is my first headgasket job...

Nate

Metal Space

Light Sunlight Water Space

·
Registered
300 Posts
Did the engine sit for a while after you blew the head gasket? Try wiping the bore with a cotton rag soaked with automatic transmission fluid. See if that will remove the deposits.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I can tell you that you don't want steel wool or especially Scothbrite anywhere near it. Scotchbrite was outlawed in the service depts years ago. The super fine particles get in the oil and cause bearing damage.

If that is really pitted as bad as the picture looks, the cylinder really needs to be reconditioned. Otherwise, you are on borrowed time. Did coolant sit in there for an extended time? I can't see that happening from a blown gasket and then opening it up promptly.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think we need to see better pictures if possible,the reflection of the metal makes it hard to determine anything. I agree with everyone that responded,you dont want any abrasives in or near the motor especially cylinder walls,the abrasives will accelerate wear like crazy! ed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
car sat about a week and a half...just got head off last nite...there was a small puddle of coolant sitting on top of piston... I am trying to just do a headgasket change and try to drive the car for 6 months to a year and then do a complete rebuild...I am concerned that those two brown outlined spots might maybe be a crack in the wall or was a previous crack that was sealed with something before at a earlier time..,it looks like the areas are patched possibly...but in a way it just looks like hotspots...I only owned the car a month...I kinda got screwed..I do know for sure the heads have been off the block before because they have a persons name scribed into them. car is all stock.. I took that picture just before dark last nite...to try to start to find out something...i will look at it again this evening to get some more pics

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
also this particular cylinder did hydrolock trying to start the engine up...of course I thought it was my starter acting up because of my inexperience...I am now sure thats what finished the headgasket off....before it hydrolocked on start up it would only white smoke about six inches out the tailpipes....everyone kept telling me it was just moisture from being cold and all the rain we got lately...and it showed nothing on the oil dipstick or oil fill cap..then of course now we have the end result....I am sure the headgasket was already on its way out when i first bought the car...do you think the rings on that piston are still ok for a while...
I am so stressed out over all this...and one pissed off wife calling it a boat anchor. I work almost 60hrs a week, 4 kids and hardly anytime for friends...at this point this forum is about all i got for advice or help...

Thanks for all input

·
Registered
807 Posts
Well, speaking for myself and I am sure all the other guys on the forum, we will do our very best to help you. I definately know what its like to have a pissed off wife because of an automotive purchase, so if you will be patient you will get good help. By the way, I really like your car,it looks good,and I am sure once you get it all sorted out,you will be very pleased with it. ed :thumbsup:

·
Global Moderator
13,700 Posts
If you hydro locked the engine, you should pull the pan and check the connecting rod for being bent, on that cylinder. While in there, you should also inspect the rod bearings and main bearings for damage cause by antifreeze.

Don't know what year car you have, but we have a good selection of GM factory service manuals, available for download in the 4th gen section. Look for thread titled "GM service manuals".

And like racy roadmaster stated, we are here for you and will combine our many years of experience to help out.

You can get closer to the little woman, by having her read you the manual while you work on your car.:popcorn:

·
Banned
489 Posts
Heck its still a chevy.

Could have been a casting flaw that passed QA inspection. Normally i would think those spots would be from debre like a chunk of a vlv in the cylinder but if no marks on pistons than i suspect a casting flaw. The spot is high enough that i don't think the oil ring will pass it and oil loss will be minimal - but u will have oil loss. No way to test for leak into or out of water jacket now. But water in the oil or gassing in the radiator would have indicated leakage from there.
If you can't replace the block on a budget then only choice is to replace the gaskets and maybe add some sealer to the coolant and try to drive it. Could be wasted effort but if don't have $3,000 or more for engine R&R then bolt'er up and drive it.
BTW i found my replacement motor brand new still sitting in the crate for $1300 out the door. Keep looking and shopping. Maybe at least get a good rebuildable core to start a rebuild with.

Good luck,
cardo0

BTW the coolant sitting in the cylinder probably got there as u removed the head - happens all the time and normal to see after removing the heads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.