LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I recently purchased a set of headers and am gonna install them when I get my cam and timing chain done. I was thinking of installing them myself instead of paying $90 in labor to have a shop do them. I was wondering if anyone could share any stories they have with installing them themselves. Any special tools needed? How much time was taken?

I had to go with shorty's due to emissions in Ohio which I will be moving back to soon.

Thank you for any input, the car is a 95 T/A

·
Registered
131 Posts
i have a set of shorties on mine and the driver side header has to go in through the bottom and the passinger side slides easily through the top remember to take out all your spark plugs and you might have to pull the dip stick but the driver side is a real pain i had to slide it up directly verticle close to the fire wall and then turn it once the exit side clears the steering

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yeah put it on paper. All fees on paper. But if u wanna do it urself the easiest way is to disconnect one eng mount at a time and lift the engine. Put header in and tighten. May I recommend good header bolts and red lock tight. ALOT! Pass some side will be the hardest... u will have to adjust the dipstick a little out of the way and slide header around it. Be careful not to break it at the weld/ bracket. Use a 3/8 six point not a 12point wrench. Some u will be able to use a six point socket. Where in Ohio? That's where I'm from.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be moving back to Parma, OH. It's about 20-25 minutes south of Cleveland. Finishing my military contract and I'll be going back to college to be a firefighter. I got the BBK shorties in the mail yesterday and the welds are absolutely horrible. There's a huge lip inside the gasket that will restrict air flow and the quality of the weld, makes me think that they will crack in 500 miles and give me an exhaust leak. Very poor quality from BBK and it's honestly a disappointment from that company.

I'm gonna be returning these headers pretty soon and a friend of mine can get my LT headers at cost from a parts dealership. He told me he can get a set of Hooker LT's for $500. I'll most likely going with these instead and trying to find a Y pipe that'll work with my Borla catback Y pipe exhaust.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yeah Hookers are nice. And good quality ones will seduce your heads. Are they the stainless because honestly you may as well go stainless now for less money and have them forever. Look at OBX not bad at all. I think they are a knock off of hooker headers to be honest. Check into it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts